Turning good MST3K characters evil and evil MST3K characters good

mst3k408antaeus

“I wish he was on our side, he seems really fun!” - Crow referring to the antagonistic Antaeus in Hercules Unchained.

This one’s pretty straightforward: which characters from MST3K’d movies would you like to see on opposite sides of the good/evil spectrum? Which heroes would make the most entertaining or interesting villains? Which bad guys would be the most compelling or appealing good guys?

8 Likes

Well this exercise, while interesting, is moot for all the big spy dinks. As it’s already established that they’re deceitful leches AND Government-sanctioned serial killers anyway. Also they won’t even buy their own smokes.

Cobras and his bearded sidekick should be heroes. Just based on their epic wardrobe choices. They could be secretly working for the aliens and just safekeeping the mask while the saucer was held up in traffic. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

8 Likes

Not necessarily the protagonist, but at some point in act III of Teen-Age Strangler I want Mikey to stop whimpering and slowly look up at the camera Pvt. Pyle-style, our first indication that he’s the psychopathic killer and the whinging was all a ruse.

9 Likes

I keep telling you people: Mikey couldn’t fight his way out of a wet paper sack on his best day. The closest to either"heroism" or “villainy” he could manage would be an upgraded form of comic relief. He’d try to leap out of the bushes and strangle someone, only to get repeatedly swatted out of their way. Just like how good Mike dealt with Evil!Mirror Tom.

3 Likes

That’s how good the ruse was: you’re completely convinced. Verbal Kint was a stammering, nickel-ante felon with a club foot, too.

4 Likes

I think it would be interesting to have Blast Hardcheese and MacPhearson switch good/evil in Space Mutiny. Having the burned-out guy with a limp fighting the charismatic body builder that is trying to take over the ship.

14 Likes

Fingal as a scheming hacker who wants to trap everyone in a cyber-world of his own creation to be his playthings, and Fat Man as his guilt-ridden employer who let it go too far under his nose and now must try to preserve reality

8 Likes

Megaweapon is already the de facto hero of Warrior of the Lost World due to the blandness and unlikeability of Paper Chase guy and his wisecracking motorcycle sidekick.

I don’t know, from a certain point of view maybe Torgo is the hero of Manos: The Hands of Fate: repeatedly tries to warn Mike and family against staying at the Valley Lodge, tries to put an end to the Master’s polyamorous philandering. He’d still be an oily, sleazy hero, but not all heroes wear capes after all.

9 Likes

Yeah… I had several fans say similar about “Moon” from Beatniks but I remain skeptical. The other thing is that along with his physical issues, Mikey isn’t that bright. If you’re going to overcome such profound physical shortcomings, you need a good scheme. Or at least a credible gimmick. Like the Boston Strangler would bring a Bible with him to set his victims’ minds at ease, IIRC.

3 Likes

Understood, but if the exercise is to fundamentally change the nature of a “good” character, then the fundamental changes here are that the weakness and lack of intelligence are a put-on to mask his deranged killer status. The real Mikey is a simpering dimwit. My transformed Mikey isn’t.

5 Likes

:thinking: I just fear the road this leads us down. Like, what if “Genius’s” plan all along was to poison the town, and it backfired? So then the dimwitted teen tourists are in fact cleverly disguised FDA trouble-shooters who are there to set things right?

(Oh, Lordy what have we DONE??!! :duck: :duck:)

5 Likes

I think we all know that Toni Basil is the real criminal mastermind in Hainesville.

5 Likes

I think it would be neat to see a different take on the Lon Chaney Jr. character from Indestructible Man in which a crime syndicate targets a respectable guy for elimination, only for him to get brought back by scientists and pursue the criminals who attempted to wipe him out.

5 Likes

I agree with @CLANG_Potroast. Kobras is merely trying to brainwash for the improvement of humanity! Tony the Pumaman is here to drop you from unsurvivable heights, helped by his defenestrating sidekick Vadinho.

4 Likes

Instead of Commando Cody foiling heists he commits them with gusto (and a jetpack)

Every episode would end with him apparently getting caught (only to wriggle free thanks to some contrivance in the next episode)

Would be fun!

5 Likes

I really like this… kinda like a prototype Diabolik!

This would be a great premise as well, turning the original movie on its head.

6 Likes

That would make him “EVIL Genius”!

She’d dance away from the movie carrying a comically large burlap sack with a dollar sign on it.

Evil Fingal would have to choose a BAD cinema to scroll up and dopple into… but which one?

6 Likes

His mind would vapor-lock from having so many options to choose from.

4 Likes

I shudder to think of an Evil Fingal Cinematic Universe™.

4 Likes

Which, when he’s finally caught, COULD lead to a flip-flop of that dramatic moment from the episode’s stinger with him shrieking that he was responsible for it all.

3 Likes