TV Movies

Traditional TV, cable. Movies made for television. The Killers (1964), Brian’s Song (1971), Duel (1971), Killdozer (1974), Sybil (1976), Elvis (1979), The Day After (1983). Are they respectable? Do you watch them? And is there a standout in your mind?

1 Like

The standout one to me is 1971’s Duel, Steven Spielberg’s first full-length film, and still one of his best.

EDIT: Oh, you mentioned that. Whoops.

2 Likes

I remember watching Night of the Twisters in school.

1 Like

Who doesn’t like Killdozer?

2 Likes

Avery Brooks.

When does Hawk get to fight a bulldozer, huh? When will it be Hawk’s time?

2 Likes

Can he learn to live with it?

2 Likes

Probably. He’s a chill dude.

2 Likes

Mentioned this in a different thread, but I remember that for one night in 1992, there were three–count 'em, three–competing Amy Fisher TV movies. I can’t even think of a modern-day equivalent.

4 Likes

Which reminds me of this which was on Comedy Central virtually every commercial break.

1 Like

Speaking of Tv movies, I had no idea until this year that Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds had a sequel…

2 Likes

Re-mention it my friend. To death if you want to. I threw out names as a frame of reference to provide context. Duel (1971) is arguably THE TV movie for many including myself. Dennis Weaver is a one-man show stalked by an insane Semi and it simply doesn’t stop and is the blueprint for Jaws (1975). Talk about it all you want. I don’t mind. It deserves it.

2 Likes

You were better off not knowing, believe me.

3 Likes

What an outstanding feature. I bought the Kino Blu not that long ago watching it for the first time. Then a second and third shortly thereafter. It’s fun, unique, and it obviously inspired the vehicle amok pictures of the 80s. Christine (1983) and Maximum Overdrive (1986) in particular. Clint Walker owns the screen and even the music excels. Carl Betz, Neville Brand, Robert Ulrich. Top notch entertainment.

I never bothered. Should I have? Is it as bad as Birdemic (2010)?

1 Like

Nothing is as bad as Birdemic.

1 Like

John Schneider and Devon Sawa? How was it?

I’ve always been a fan of possessed motor vehicle stories. My favorite is the The Car (1977).

1 Like

James Brolin, Ronny Cox, R.G. Armstrong. The feel of it burns to memory. Sunbaked, unforgiving, dusty. The Car honking and speeding along and that marching band running for their lives. Definitely Jaws (1975) on Land.

1 Like

Yep. Good times.

1 Like

Much more recent, but I adore the Jesse Stone series of TV movies. There have been 9 in all!

2 Likes