TV Theme Song Riffs

And it’s not a theme song per se, but the opening lines to the intro of the short-lived TV show Then Came Bronson, which Frank Conniff is obsessed with for some reason, was quoted more than once.

“Where are you going?”
“Nowhere special.”
“Man, I wish I was you.”

4 Likes

SSSSSUPERCAAAAAAR! SUPERCAR!

6 Likes

In The Girl in Lovers Lane, as Carrie is leaving her house we hear the themes from The Donna Reed Show, Leave It to Beaver, My Three Sons, and just for good measure Barnaby Jones.

5 Likes

Found a Beverly Hillbillies theme riff. When Big Stupid is looking at his reflection in a pond we hear “Black gold, Texas tea.”

5 Likes

Servo sings a bit of the Family Affair theme song in the “death” host segment in Gunslinger.

3 Likes

There’s at least one episode where you see an explosion or fireworks and they sing part of the Love, American Style theme. This is several years before they did their actual parody of the show.

In Batwoman I they sing Shirley Chisholm’s name like it’s the theme from the TV show The Chisholms, if I’m remembering right.

5 Likes

I’m positive they’ve done the theme to The Dick Van Dyke Show at least once. And, of course, they’ve even riffed on their OWN theme song once or twice, at least.

3 Likes

Off the top of my head, I think they used it in Santa Claus Conquers the Martians when Kimar enters.

4 Likes

In Radar Secret Service, Servo hums the theme from The Donna Reed Show as a woman walks down the stairs. Later, Crow hums the theme from Sanford and Son when a car pulls up.

5 Likes

There was one in Mitchell when Mitchell is walking that Joel starts singing the theme from The Jeffersons.

6 Likes

A fave of mine is The Munsters theme. They imitate the theme music when a certain car appears that reminds them of Herman Munster’s. It’s in The Giant Gila Monster for sure, and maybe some others. In that episode there’s even a mention of 1313 Mockingbird Lane at some house exterior.

Sometimes Crow even wags his head on the last note to indicate a vibrato effect. (“Bwaaaaah.”)

4 Likes

Does anyone remember the proto-Inception moment where the robots sing the opening line from their own theme song and Joel shushes them and whispers, “You’re not supposed to know about that.”

Or did I just dream that one night after too much late-hour beer and bourbon? :thinking:

3 Likes

I don’t recall the theme song, but in one of the Rocky Jones movies Servo says the planet on screen looks just like the MST3K logo and gets that response from Joel.

4 Likes

Pretty sure that’s in one of the Gamera movies (maybe the first one?)

3 Likes

The first Gamera movie features an exchange where, when Gamera is getting trapped in the rocket to be launched into space, Crow asks, “Remind you of anything, Joel?” to which Joel responds, “It reminds me of THIS”, and then takes Crow’s arm off and starts hitting him with it.

3 Likes

I once had to explain all the various "[yawn] “GOOD Morning” riffs to a dude on another fan board. Which is peculiar because I’m not a dude, but oh well. It was my one chance to look worldly and cool so I wasn’t going to let it pass. :wink:

(Sorry, Mods if this belongs on the MST3K After Dark thread. Totally my fault. I’ll go stand in the corner. : o )

2 Likes

Time of the Apes, they sung a bit of this

3 Likes

In 12 to the Moon, when they cut to the blonde astronaut Servo sings the first line of the theme to The Farmer’s Daughter.

3 Likes

In Girls Town they hum the Sanford and Son theme when a truck blocks Mel Torme from leaving the parking lot, but the one I really forgot before watching again just now is that they hum the Johnny Carson Tonight Show theme (which Paul Anka wrote) when Anka enters a room.

Plus, Mike sings the Gigantor theme a couple of times as Mamie Van Doren walks away from the camera.

5 Likes

In The Skydivers, when one of the planes is taking off, the crowd is waving and the gang sings “We’re so glad we had this time together”, the Carol Burnett theme.

4 Likes