Twitter gets sold...

I hope this is OK… if not, feel free to delete.

I know next to nothing against musk. only that he played 4d chess the last month with the right set of crazies, and won.

I also don’t know if he can save twitter. If he TRULY thinks he can, the first thing is to get rid of all the Bot accounts. And I Think we’ll see a purge of about 3/4ths of users. But, since it’s a private company, that’s OK.

What I’d really like to see is twitter go back to the fun platform it was before 2006. it was filled with humore and good natured posts. before the dark times. I’d like to see that return. I guess only time will tell…

2 Likes

Well… it isn’t sold just yet. Everything is still fluid. It could bottom out.

It’s interesting that the board went from “prevent it” to “he wants to pay how much?”.

5 Likes

Very true. Although in this case, I Think it might have been the shareholders. Supposedly the board doesn’t OWN any stock. and the shareholders are like ‘why are we missing out on this much?’

I think all the threatened lawsuits from the board’s fiduciary malfeasance probably played a role in that stance changing.

The way it’s being reported reeks of Musk himself leaking the story to all these papers to try to pressure the Twitter board, even if they aren’t actually nearly as ready to sell as he’s portraying.

3 Likes

I don’t think that bell can be unrang. Twitter at some point became THE place for everyone to spout out poorly-supported inflammatory political rants.

If you’re mad at politics, I think the ranking is: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and then whatever the kids are using. Nobody uses internet forums anymore. I think everyone here is some sort of shade.

4 Likes

I honestly looked at it as Facebook, Reddit, Twitter.

In the sense I view:
Twitter. Started an account years ago, still have it, it can be a toxic waste dump at times, so I barely if ever post, but still keep tabs on things with it.
Reddit: some segments can get super messed up, but depending on the userbase of any particular subreddit you are part of, it can be quite tame.
Facebook: Hate with a passion, never created a proper profile and feel better because of it. Many people I know have said “Hey just make a “Fake” account, nobody will know it’s you if you don’t tell them.” except that in early days of facebook when it started taking off, I had that idea, created an account with zero identifiable details, told no one, and within a week, I had someone I knew online send me a message on another service (Hey who used Gaia Online) asking if this was me, with a link to that Facebook account. Have not touched it since. Don’t trust Facebook, never had, hate when other services I don’t mind get taken over by Facebook.

Twitter so far, has been the lesser of two evils. And I honestly hope as a minimum it can stay that way.

3 Likes

… eh. At this point, I don’t care. Even though Elon Musk bought Twitter, I’m not thinking of leaving the site anytime soon. Plus, I’ve only been on there for 4 3/4 years.

1 Like

I think it’s more that we’ve moved past Elon saying “Oh yeah, I totally have the funding lined up” (which he’s lied about before on other things) to him actually showing up with financing from a proper bank, so the board has to believe him now and their fiduciary duty actually kicks in with a funded offer.

3 Likes

Two and a half words: pump n’ dump

3 Likes

Given that Elon Musk is a giant flake, I’ll believe it when the ink is dry and not before. But since this is about Musk’s ego – rather than, say, saving lives or helping people – there’s a decent chance he bothers to go through with it.

Twitter will never go back to being just good fun memes. The country is broken and Twitter is just a window into that.

I honestly looked at it as Facebook, Reddit, Twitter.

The difference between Facebook and YouTube is that if you could somehow disappear all the misinformation and lies, YouTube would still have a viable business model. I think Twitter falls in the middle. (I have no opinions on Reddit as I don’t use it and never have.)

I am seriously considering leaving Twitter if this goes through, but not because I think it will change in any material way, or because I care so deeply which narcissistic frat-boy billionaire owns it. It’s because I spend WAY too much time there already, and perhaps I can use this as a wedge to pry my diseased brain away from it and get something useful done instead. For instance, more posting on the MST3K forum! :smile: :smile: :smile:

5 Likes

Possibly. Probably a mix of both.

At what point does Elon have his hand in too many cookie jars? I’d rather he focus on SpaceX (and Starlink) and Tesla and give us ways forward that will help reduce emissions in a way the average person can afford.

1 Like

Yeah, I left a couple of years back and I actually got some writing down, books and programs and music, cleaned my garage, joined a jug band, became a cabin boy on a merchant marine ship, and started a political movement. Still haven’t started my SoundCloud, tho’.

Looks like it’s a done deal, tho’. Twitter says they’ve accepted.

So unless Elongated Muskrat pulls as “PSYCH!” and runs of giggling…Billionaires will have…moved some billions around.

2 Likes

Been suspended 3 times for tearing bullies a new one so screw them. I’m on Tribel now.

1 Like

COOL :joy:

1 Like

that’s my problem with it. I don’t like twitter as it is now, because it’s all one sided one way. BUT, I DON’T want it to go one sided another way with a billionaire at the helm either. I just want dumb cat videos, darn it :slight_smile:

1 Like

My hero.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned it before but back in the day I had some very nice interactions with people. I mean, I joined because all my friends were like “c’mon! let’s tweet!” and…peer pressure is the real monster, is what I’m saying.

I’d actually had an account for a year before tweeting because I just thought, “Well, this is dumb.” First impressions and all that.

1 Like

If he holds true to his vow to make Twitter a haven of absolute free speech, then it will quickly become intolerable for anyone but the most crazy. Then all the reasonable people will abandon ship to some other service. The best result will be that Elon Musk will be $45 billion poorer.

4 Likes

I started tweeting after a year of having an account. By God, I had a paper I had to avoid writing! I was on the service for I guess about 7 years before the experience changed. It started to remind me of the bad old days when I was a teenaged girl on the internet–flirtation followed by low key threatening messages when I turned someone down. It happened twice and I quit. It was a shame too because I’d had a couple nice interactions with Trace about beekeeping (namely about what to do when he found a bag of bees in his yard of all things). Also talking to astronauts. It was fun.

That said I don’t think Musk buying Twitter will change or fix Twitter. I think it will benefit Musk. I hope he proves me wrong. :beers:

4 Likes