Twitter gets sold...

sad part is, it already HAS become that. no normal person uses twitter anymore. it’s mostly celebrities, journalists, maybe a few politicians. and about 600 fake bots…

3 Likes

yeah, that was the FUN twitter. But, as legend has it, the crazy tumbler crowd invaded. and then it turned bad. I all but had to stop interacting with people because even basic things set someone off. this is why I like it here. reminds me of the good old days. calmer heads.

4 Likes

I swear if I was in charge of contracts for a movie there’d be a “no tweeting” clause.

3 Likes

I’ve been on Twitter since the early days and think I keep it working well for me these days by

• Being a cishet middle aged white guy, so I don’t generally get harrassed to start with
  • Using TweetBot (worth the $5/yr) so I get my feed in reverse chronological order and only the people I actually follow
  • Blocking awful people so I don’t see their tweets unless someone screenshots it to complain about them
  • Muting keywords and hashtags I don’t want to see
  • Doing my best (but sometimes failing) at the maxim: “Never Tweet”
5 Likes

Personally I started an antisocial network years ago and I’m happy to say it still only has one member. (One and a half if you count my dog.) Anyone who wants to pay me 44b can have it! (The network, not the dog.)Also, I have several lovely bridges for sale if anyone’s interested. All joking aside, my completely unsupported view is that Twitter is going to devolve into a dumpster fire that will be visible from space. I’ve got my popcorn and a welding helmet for when the whole thing melts down in a supernova and am watching with fascination. I have no vested interest either way, but I remember the wild and woolly days of the early internet, and this is going to be entertaining. Full disclosure however, I can’t stand anything close to social media with the exception of you brilliant folks.

3 Likes

Besides, realistically if it gets too bad the major players can pull it from the app stores and kill it. Then he’ll have paid 44b for what will essentially be 4chan.

1 Like

Pulling something from an app store doesn’t delete it from the many people who already have it downloaded though. They still get to use Twitter even if it’s pulled.

2 Likes

Sure, but it makes it harder to grow a larger customer base. Sustainability would take a hit. Advertising is already likely going to dry up when it becomes a hotbed of controversy, not to mention the scores of users who are going to drop off once they realize it’s an even less pleasant place to be with less moderation. The “unmoderated speech platform” app has been tried again and again, and failed to varying degrees every time. I mean Twitter turned an AI racist and that was with moderation. :rofl: But again, just my opinion.

2 Likes

If Musk can find profitable a way to make paying more than the already overpriced Twitter was price at, he truly is a genius.

3 Likes

Fail…
Flourish…

I just hope it doesn’t somehow benefit Zuckerberg.

6 Likes

Honestly, I don’t care. I don’t use Twitter. Never have and never will. So my main reaction is a hearty, ‘meh’.

6 Likes

I’m only on two. all I can take. Facebook mostly, and twitter. I quit all my facebook groups a few years ago because they where just too toxic. real toxic. Twitter I only read occasoinally just to see how people react to things. I mostly use it to look for fast help from places like sony or vegas pro’s team. I stopped interacting with ‘real people’ on there about 6 years ago.

Anyone who can bite the bullet and forsake all of them, I salute you! I don’t know HOW people can be subscribed to every social media outlet out there and stay sane!

3 Likes

Well, except his forum. I don’t salute anyone who isn’t here.

3 Likes

Aside from here, I strictly communicate with the world via notes tucked into bottles. It’s worked well so far.

5 Likes

I am on Facebook, but I have never posted and never will. I have it solely to read and comment on posts by people I know. I have the world’s most uninteresting life and would never waste anyone’s time by posting about it.

I’m not on any other social media platform. Message boards like these are as far as I go. My policy is that all 21st century technology is evil.

5 Likes

The only social media platform I use is Facebook. That is strictly controlled, I have the privacy settings as locked down as humanly possibly. I don’t share much, have fewer than 100 “friends” and mostly participate in a few fandom and writing groups. Oh and a couple of message boards like this one.

I have a twitter login, but never used it. No Instagram, Pinterest, or TikTok (good gods that one looks like a pit of hell). I read a few things on Reddit (again writers group and a fandom group) but I don’t have a login for it.

I have no desire to “go viral”.

5 Likes

Besides Facebook, this is the only social media I use. I used to be on a fanfiction forum but that went defunct and I’ve never found a replacement.

I keep Facebook because of friends that I would have a hard time keeping up with without it. Friends from high school, from college, from grad school. They would all be pretty much gone without that contact. The argument could be made that we’re not really friends if we have to use social media to keep up, and perhaps that’s true, but I like seeing my friends’ families. But everything else? Phooey. No thanks.

And I have no other social media. No TikTok, no Instagram, no Twitter, no whatever else there is.

3 Likes

I stopped using Twitter in 2016 (except for a handful of posts since) because I could see the way the tide was turning, and it wasn’t good or healthy. The only reason I haven’t totally deleted my account is because the 2FA has me locked out.

I’m mostly on Facebook to keep up with friends and the family that doesn’t piss me off. I have a locked down Instagram that I use mainly to post photos (as in, Instagram’s original purpose). I post on a few subreddits. I know TikTok isn’t just teenagers, but at this point in my life, I need less social media in my life, not more.

4 Likes

The only Twitter accounts I ever look at are the “blue checkmarks”… famous people, but not actors and singers and so forth. Scientists and experts and journalists are more interesting, as long as I only read their posts and not the comment threads.

If I were an agent for someone in the entertainment industry, I’d only agree to represent them if they deleted all their social media accounts or turned them over to publicists. How many careers have been destroyed recently with a single unwise tap of a Send key?

Anyway, I’m sure with this news Putin is already hiring on more trolls for his troll farms.

3 Likes

I’m convinced all the really cool kids are right here. (On MSD3K) Let’s not tell the others. :sunglasses::rofl:

6 Likes