Two Gamera Vs Jiger previews are up on YouTube.

You’re not wrong… I mean some of the Heisei Godzilla movies are GREAT… others are just wtfery

2 Likes

I’m in an extreme minority that doesn’t really care for the 90’s trilogy. I always found Guardian of the Universe to be a “Fine, whatever” movie, while Attack of Legion is boring as all hell. Revenge of Iris is a pretty quality flick though. These movies are the polar opposite of what the Showa Gamera films are though, so they’re worth a peek for folks who only know him from MST3K.

I liked Gamera the Brave more than just about any of them, honestly. Jiger is my favorite of the classic run though, so I’m happy to see it finally on the show.

1 Like

I enjoyed Gamera the Brave, which I saw a few years back. And I have a foggy memory of liking the other modern ones… I see they’re at Prime, so maybe I’ll give them a re-watch and see what I think of them now.

But who’s the Electric Avenue fan? We had that riff in Robot Wars too.

1 Like

I’ve seen The She-Creature unriffed, and they didn’t edit out a second of it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it were the same for The Undead.

2 Likes

If an episode has a short that’s at least a hint that they needed to fill some time to get the the 133-137 minutes for a full episode. But that doesn’t necessarily mean they didn’t cut things from the movie.

3 Likes

The Painted Hills only ran 69 minutes, so they added a short, but still made a few minor cuts to the feature (an argument between Jonathan and Taylor, a scene where Taylor digs a grave, while Shep watches from the woods)

But yeah, most of what I’ve seen (unriffed) that I can remember, had some cuts.

Would be curious to know how many were edit free however, and am interested in seeing how Gamers vs Jiger plays out, will I think “That was perfect as is”, or “Yeesh, it felt like that movie needed some shaving” - I’ll soon find out (yay)

3 Likes

I’m curious if they’ll go shorter on the host segments as a result?

2 Likes

Could be wrong but I’m pretty sure “Beast of Yucca Flats” didn’t get edited down given they had to have TWO shorts to fill the time.

On the other end, I could only imagine how tough it was for them to decide how to trim down “Hamlet”, which probably has the record for the most trimmed down thing MST has ever done.

3 Likes

They definitely cut the non-sequiterial opening scene, because spurious nudity. There’s still the “family-friendly” criterion.

3 Likes

I wonder if we’ll get an extra host segment out of this, or just more time between the segments. It feels like an event, go nuts!

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the unriffed version (yet), but in It Conquered the World they specifically state the film is running short and they need to fill time during a host segment, which also likely lead to its lengthy outro too.

They might have cut some stuff from it, but it was likely very little.

I think most of the KTMA’s are likely uncut as well. They even leave Gamera vs. Gaos’s “Here’s all the monster scenes, kiddos. You can turn it off now.” prologue intact.

4 Likes

I was just realizing that there was a Movie Jo Night with Mary Jo Pehl last night, Rifftrax put one of the Teen-Agers movies on their YouTube today, The Mads are putting Glen or Glenda on YouTube tomorrow and then MST3K is riffing Gamera Friday. This is a really strong week for riffing content.

4 Likes

So which TV or Movie panels at SDCC are going on when this is? What potential attention splitters are there?

1 Like

That’s a good question, but waiting in long lines leaves lots of time for streaming.

1 Like

Well for me it’s more “Which Twitter feeds are going to have my attention as well?” Because I am not at the convention

1 Like