UNDERwatched episodes

Piggy backing on the OVERwatched thread, what episodes are sorely UNDERwatched. For me it’s the unearthly and the creeping terror

7 Likes

905 - The Deadly Bees. It’s spectacular. Yet I hardly ever hear it mentioned, even by deep Misties.

18 Likes

So totally agree

1 Like

Colossus and the Headhunters.

I don’t think I really hear anyone talk about that one. I think it gets talked up even less than the similarly underwatched Stranded in Space.

5 Likes

Never any love for ‘Attack of the Eye Creatures’, but that movie was a fave bad one before MST3K came around.

11 Likes

Ring of Terror seldom gets mentioned, but it’s a plodding 30-minute radio play stretched out to a feature length film, so it’s easy to forget.

EDIT: And yes, Eye Creatures is a perennial favorite of mine. My brother and I watched it so many times on Creature Feature in the pre-MST3K days.

7 Likes

mst3k418riptaylortrio

Bless it forever for the Rip Taylor Trio host segment.

And also everything else.

7 Likes

Also, First Spaceship On Venus, which I rather like as both a film and a riff episode.

7 Likes

I think what works against that is also what worked against 906 - The Space Children, which is to say, no official DVD/streaming release.

Had that not been the case, I think we’d see an entirely different reception of those episodes.

10 Likes

Obvious answer, but any of the ones without official releases. I don’t know those nearly as well as I would if they were on the streaming services or (officially) in my library, and the more casual viewer may never see them.

EDIT: Yes, what @optiMSTie just said. :smiley:

5 Likes

Heh… great minds, @MichaelRobertson. :smiley:

2 Likes

The Amazing Colossal Man. But to be fair, it’s not available on DVD. I think it would be talked about more otherwise.

7 Likes

That’s a very good point, but honestly, it takes a 5 second Google search and a single click to watch one of the decent quality uploads of this and any of the last remaining “I am the owner of the copyright of this film and for some reason I don’t want to make any money from it so go away and stop bothering me! Darn smoochers!” titles, which consist of (in addition to The Deadly Bees):

Ep #201 Rocketship X-M
Ep #212 Godzilla Vs. Megalon
Ep #213 Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster
Ep #309 The Amazing Colossal Man
Ep #311 It Conquered the World
Ep #416 Fire Maidens from Outer Space
Ep #418 The Eye Creatures
Ep #807 Terror from the Year 5000
Ep #809 I Was A Teenage Werewolf
Ep #906 The Space Children
Ep #913 Quest of the Delta Knights

All of these titles get talked about, justifiably, A LOT more than the wonderful “The Deadly Bees.”

MAN I would kill for a better version of “Fire Maidens From Outer Space.” Watched that one a few weeks ago. That’s the only fan-based upload that I can’t find a decent version of. Those Penn Jillette commercial bumpers on CC were SO ANNOYING and in the only copy I can find, the person obviously made a heroic effort to pause the VCR to try and cut out all the commercials, but didn’t quite succeed.

6 Likes

Oh I love when the commercials are still there! It’s instant flashbacks

8 Likes

WHEEEEW LAWDY that makes one of us. The 90’s were pretty darn fun, but those endless ATT, MCI, AOL commercials SUCKED. Somebody on the You Tubes has posted episodes with the commercials still in and YOWCH.

4 Likes

I do think The Space Children is pretty obscure among MST3K watches as well. I hardly ever see it come up in conversations about the show.

I know why the Godzilla films are virtually impossible to get the rights on, but stuff like Fire Maidens, Year 5000, and Eye Creatures is just boggling. Whoever is hoarding these films should be made to watch them non-stop until they relent.

7 Likes

[cough] Season 0, which everyone chickened out on after a mere two watch-a-longs. lol

3 Likes

Oh, thank Dog. I thought it was just me. There’s no way I’m willingly sitting through any of those ads ever again. Not even if you agree to pay my mortgage for a month. :confused:

1 Like

Teenage Crime Wave

3 Likes

Which is a real shame IMO. By the end of the KTMA run the riffing at least is nearly on a par with season 1, even if the production values are still lagging behind a bit (and that’s understandable, given the budget was approximately zero dollars).

3 Likes