Unexpected Cast in MST3K Movies

I watched The Village of the Giants the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see Tommy Kirk and Ron Howard! What are some cast members in a MST3K riffed movie that surprised you?

12 Likes

And the young lady with red hair is Toni Basil of ā€œHey Mickeyā€ fame, among so many other things.

19 Likes

Mind blown! Thatā€™s awesome, thank you for sharing.

4 Likes

Hell itā€™s even weird seeing a young Beau Bridgesā€¦

10 Likes

Raul Julia in Overdrawn at the Memory Bank. He had passed away in 1994, but still felt raw thanks to his incredible body of work, and yet, I wouldnā€™t trade Overdrawn at the Memory Bank for anything!

12 Likes

Clint Eastwood.

20 Likes

Also, did you ever think MST3K would do a movie that starred Rock Hudson and Mia Farrow?

19 Likes

Behind the scenes.

• John Williams did the music for Daddy-O, must have been one of his first.
  • Rick Baker is fairly famous as a makeup artist and he did the makeup effects in Squirm, Track of the Moon Beast, and The Incredible Melting Man.
  • Ferde Grofe who did the music in Rocketship X-M also composed the Grand Canyon Suite.
  • James Horner, another rather famous composer, was the music producer for Wizards of the Lost Kingdom. (According to IMDb, he also was uncredited as the composer for Death Stalker and the Warriors from Hell.)
18 Likes

I love your take on this, thank you for providing some behind the scenes!

5 Likes

Another behind-the-scenes person: the late Vilmos Zsigmond. He was a camera operator and cinematographer. You can see his work in such masterpieces as The Last Waltz, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Deliverance, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, plus many other movies Hollywood released over the years. He received many awards, including an achievement award at Cannes, and multiple Oscar nominations (including one win, for Close Encounters).

How did this luminary get his start? One of his first IMDB credits is for his work as a camera operator for The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?. Itā€™s quite a leap to work with Scorcese, Spielberg, and Altman when you started out working with Ray Dennis Steckler.

18 Likes

Then again, look at all the people Corman gave a start to.

10 Likes

Daran Norris in Hobgoblins
Fairly Odd Parents Dancing GIF

5 Likes

I was absolutely stunned to discover that the Club Scum MC [Daran Norris, as I tried to mention in my first version of this post] went on to voice Cosmo (among many other animated characters).

Norris was also in Stargames as Happy the Clown. If you havenā€™t seen the RiffTrax of Stargames, I recommend it. What a horror show.

8 Likes

I had not made that connection before.

2 Likes

Coleman Francis showing up in This Island Earth as the mailman.

(And I didnā€™t personally notice this until it was mentioned in the MST3KInfo episode guide)

12 Likes

@Humbledstone

Have you checked out @SandyFrank 's 6 Degrees chart? Seems like youā€™d dig it if you havenā€™t.

9 Likes

You are right, this is definitely something that Iā€™m interested in. Thank you!

3 Likes

Coleman Francis also had a bit part in the Film Crewā€™s Killers from Space at the very end as a guard in the power plant.

5 Likes

I mean, heā€™s got seven Oscars.

Daran Norris bugs me.

Itā€™s not really anything about him, or anything heā€™s done per se. But in the '90s (maybe early '00s) he was in an erotic thriller (I think) and he was, like, the big star. And Iā€™m watching the opening credits and thinking, ā€œDaran Norris? Who is that guy? Why is he getting ā€˜special guest starā€™-type billing? Why do I know his name?ā€

To this day, I cannot recall what movie it was (and i see no likely candidates on his IMDB page, though with voice actors, one usually drowns in the sea of credits, and heā€™s no exception) but I have never forgotten his name.

And every time it comes up, I get a little bit more annoyed.

4 Likes

Yep. Fairly famous. :crazy_face:

1 Like