Unexpected gift

Aw. Look what my big brother bought me from our local thrift store! Good as new! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

48 Likes

love that book.
really hope they can make an updated one some day.

10 Likes

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

How rad is that? :smiley:

Way back in the day, a friend got me a second copy by sheer random chance, which worked it out, because it’s easy for those pages to fall out from so much reading and handling.

Awesome that your big brother came through like that for ya, @bret!

6 Likes

Same, same, same on both counts.

This appeared to be the plan at some point once upon a time.

When MST3K returned in 2017, there was a press release about licensing partners taking part in MST3K’s first-ever consumer products program.

Some of that stuff came to fruition, like the Funko merch and the Dark Horse comics and so on. One of the partners, Insight Editions, was purported to be behind something called the “Ultimate Episode Guide” as well as trivia books and journals, but it looks like that didn’t come about.

You can see the press release here at the Satellite News:

https://www.mst3kinfo.com/?p=23877

6 Likes

That book is the best! Real happy for you! :smiley:

2 Likes

My copy is in tenuous shape at this point from reading it so many times.

It’s okay though. Lots of great memories associated with this book!

6 Likes

Got this for Christmas a few years ago.

4 Likes

Heh, yeah, that could rack up some battle damage in a hurry. I look at my first copy and find myself saying “LOOK HOW THEY MASSACRED MY BOY”

SO MANY :smiley:

I read that thing cover to cover multiple times with fewer than a dozen episodes under my belt.

But all the anecdotes and insights were ridiculously fun to read, so it didn’t really make a difference there!

7 Likes

Two things really stuck with me from reading this book. One thing was Mary Jo’s blurb about only cutting your toenails right after you bathe/shower so your nails are softer. I believe it was in response to a personal hygiene short. Another thing is Kevin Murphy’s story about how he was snubbed by Kurt Vonnegut in an airport.

I checked my copy to see if I was correct, and I found a bonus Tom Servo postcard. It was like a gift from past me.

I would definitely throw money at another Kickstarter/MST3K fundraiser if it meant updating the book. It didn’t even have the Sci-Fi years!

9 Likes

My copy of this is still in pretty good condition. I’ve been treating it nicely, knowing that it is hard to get another copy.

4 Likes

If you don’t want to wait, you have the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide for the Season Seven episodes as well as the entire Sci-Fi Channel era run, courtesy of the Satellite News - all masterminded by the original writers, just as it was with the original ACEG!

10 Likes

Did not realize these were out there. I guess I should have spent more time surfing that world wide web 20 years ago! Thanks!

4 Likes

Very welcome, @GregC - cheers, and happy reading!

4 Likes

It found a perfect home! Enjoy it ! It’s a great read.

4 Likes

Mine is falling apart, but I have a digital copy.

3 Likes

Not saying… Just saying.
If they do an updated version or sequel, all I ask is for better quality paper and binding.

I can afford the extra expense that would cost now.

3 Likes

I’ve actually bought four or five different copies to replace one that I lost and to give as gifts to friends from alibris.com. They’re a great online used bookstore.

2 Likes

I don’t remember where mine came from, but I’m pretty sure it was from Amazon. It was even sealed.

2 Likes

Mike tells a story of them all being snubbed by Vonnegut in a restaurant. (Like, “Hey, we love your work, care to join us?” “No, I’m meeting some people.” Hours later, he’s still alone.)

4 Likes

Mine’s falling apart too but I’ll never toss it. I got it signed by all of the cast members at the 1996 Convention in Minneapolis.

7 Likes