Universal. As The World Turns?

That’s the line. Isn’t it? :laughing:

3 Likes

The Universal logo always opened the door for a good one liner. Weather jokes, Male Pattern Baldness, Snow. The Sci-Fi shows really went to town on that. Though for my money the first few seconds of The Movie (1996) takes the cake.

3 Likes

I remember a long period of time when neither HBO or Showtime played them old or new. Not many people had Starz back then and they had the Universal movies uncut.

2 Likes

I secretly have pined one of the older Universals made it. Simply to riff the airplane.

3 Likes

I remember someone on a movie forum saying Fat Bottomed Girls would be perfect for the modern logo intro. They ain’t wrong.

Nothing tops Go Gos.

Interested Peeping Tom GIF

Or this one. So many Disco jokes left unused.

3 Likes

Even this classic logo. I’m surprised no one cracked a Star Trek line. “The planet has shields?”

2 Likes

Imagine my surprise when I went to see Serenity and the spaceship came around from behind the Earth. Almost exactly the way I’d envisioned doing it since I was a kid.

1 Like

In one of the Bridget and Mary Jo Sherlock Holmes Rifftrax’s, they hum the classic logo jingle!

1 Like

Good to know!

2 Likes

I love Universal! My favorite studio and it’s all because of Mst3K! Seriously, where would the show be without the imagination and creativity of this studio and it’s wonderful monster movies!

2 Likes

Amen. There’s a dash of magic in the air when you see that globe. Most of my favorite movie moments belong to the studio. The removing of the mask in The Phantom of the Opera (1925), Boris Karloff throwing a little girl into a pond in Frankenstein (1931), the invisible effects and Rains voice in The Invisible Man (1933), Karloff talking as The Monster in Bride of Frankenstein (1935), poor Lon Chaney Jr in The Wolf Man (1941), the Our Town vibe of Shadow of a Doubt (1943), the silliness of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948), the theatricality and anxiety of Rope (1948), the perfection that’s Rear Window (1954), the shock that’s Vertigo (1958), Psycho (1960) and those strings, the birds of The Birds (1963), Duel (1972) and that semi, the shark of Jaws (1975), the alien exoeriences of E.T. (1982) and The Thing (1982), going back in Back to the Future (1985), the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park (1993), Schindler’s List (1993).

The image of Earth in that logo signifies the impossible becoming possible and that is Universal. Along with that are so many B Movies that were the meat and potatoes of much of Universal’s history and were perfect for MST3K. Nobody consistently did escapism like Universal.

2 Likes

P.S. For clarity, several of Hitchcock’s Paramount titles eventually would land in the Universal catalogue which is how I saw them. Frankly they fit the films of Universal to a t and I can’t think of Universal without thinking of them.

2 Likes

History of Universal Studios Hollywood Backlot.

1 Like

The Romantic Horror Legacy of Universal Monsters.

1 Like

Official Universal Studios Hollywood Studio Tour and Theme Park History.

1 Like

All right you chuckleheads.

Who has the best globe-based logo/whatever-it’s-called in moviedom?

• RKO
  • Universal
  • Other (must specify)

0 voters

1 Like

Court of Miracles Set on the Universal Studios Backlot.

1 Like

Lon Chaney Jr: Man of a Thousand Faces.

1 Like

The Making of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948). So much surrounding Universal history is in this I had to include it.

1 Like