Upcoming Home Video Releases

Much coming out that interests you? Dune (2021), Eternals (2021), Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021), Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)? Older movies on Blu or UHD for the first time? Love Affair (1939), The Flight of the Phoenix (1965), Martin (1977), The Last Waltz (1978), Ordinary People (1980), The Hitcher (1986), Robocop (1987), Hard Target (1993), The Piano (1993), Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein (1994), The Green Mile (1999)? Naturally the titles change over time. What has your eye now? What do you want?

1 Like

My copy of Dune - Part 1 arrives tomorrow.

There was a recent situation where a Game Grumps playthrough led to the discovery of Nigel Bach and his Bad Ben series of films. Sadly, the massive 8-disc collection is no longer available in his online shop (Nigel decided to move things to all-digital services with DRM) but I did snag copies of the first and third films on DVD. The first has arrived; ripped and watched and, yeah, this is one of those outsider art situations that’s sorta lovable. Third arrives soon.

2 Likes

Halloween Kills (2021) tomorrow. An uncommonly good modern horror flick. I’m peaked what a longer cut might drag to it. I increasingly respected the theatrical. Far superior to Halloween (2018) in my mileage. So much so it enhanced its predecessor. Occasionally with these multiple movie planned franchises like The Dark Knight Trilogy, setting the foundation and laying the stage of what’s to follow delays the real excitement till the second film. This occurred in The Dark Knight (2008) and Halloween Kills. Distinction is I adored Batman Begins (2005) while the excitement hit critical mass in Dark Knight. Same with Halloween Kills.

1 Like

From Eureka there’s a few Sammo Hung films coming soon: Skinny Tiger and Fatty Dragon; The Odd Couple; Prodigal Son and Warriors Two double pack.

From 88 films some Hong Kong films: Flag of Iron; Martial Club; Human Lanterns; Legendary Weapons of China; Monkey Kung Fu; Shaolin Mantis; Black Cat. So far it’s unannounced but the old Jackie Chan film Half a Loaf of Kung Fu is due from them at some point as well.

From Arrow there’s Phenomena plus I’m interested to see what other Shaw Brothers films they have after releasing the Shawscope volume 1 boxset. Come Drink With Me is on their US release list but that was released in the UK by 88 Films a couple of years ago. Still hoping they have the rights to 36th Chamber and its sequels and release a boxset of those.

Out of all of that, Prodigal Son is the film that I’m most looking forward to as it’s one of my all time favourites.

2 Likes

Second Sight Films is headlong into a 4K restoration of George A. Romero’s Martin (1977). Their Dawn of the Dead (1978) set blew the doors off and I can’t wait for this. Last October the long MIA 3 hour black and white cut of Martin believed to be lost was located. Second Sight temporarily ceased their work on the theatrical cut in hopes of acquiring the Romero original version for that release. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

On Phenomena (1985), Synapse is also working on a UHD. I may jump on that.

2 Likes

No.

Well, not from Hollywood, anyway.

Before the lockdowns I was really looking forward to sequels to the Korean films Along with Gods and The Divine Fury, and for Chinatown Detective 3, but I doubt they’ll ever make it to theaters.

Hopefully the insanity will stop by the fall and we’ll be able to see the Israeli Film Festival, which is usually great.

The low budget circuit will doubtless hold some fun surprises, too. But part of that is the fun of not knowing what you’re going to get.

Oh, and honestly, for the streaming/home video market I’m gonna be watching what Vinegar Syndrome has up it’s sleeve. Those guys are great!

1 Like

It says “in collaboration with Arrow films” so I assume it’s the same release but with different distributors for different territories. Arrow’s other 4K releases have been great so far (outside of some QC issues with Donnie Darko and Demons) with the Argento films being particularly good.

2 Likes

@Serein Arrow is an outstanding label. I own many of their titles. Knowing the people of Synapse and Don Mar Jr’s insistence on perfection beyond most production houses I steer to their products whenever there’s a choice. Synapse never has had to recall a single release. Don works on his projects often for years and that level dedication is why I defer to them. You’re correct. It is a co-undertaking between them and either product is well worth it.

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to see this for years, but it was always so hard/expensive to track down a copy

3 Likes

I’m a super-enthusiastic Romero fan, and I loved the HELL out of Martin.

It really is a shame that it hasn’t been more widely seen or made more accessible.

I’d LOVE to see that 3.5-hour director’s cut.

3 Likes

Oh, by the bye, if you wanted to see Martin? It’s on YouTube!

Search for “george a. romero’s martin (1978)”. It should be the first item that comes up, clocking in at 1:34:47.

3 Likes

As would I. Here’s hoping Second Sight and Richard Rubenstein agree to something. It’s time to turn this urban legend into a place on my shelf.

1 Like

Mmhmm. Same here.

Fingers crossed and all that!

2 Likes

Billy Wilder’s The Apartment (1960) is arriving to 4K UHD March 8th.

1 Like

Warner Archives heralded their March roster of Blu titles. A Star Is Born (1937), Captain of the Clouds (1942), and The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962).

1 Like

Apparently Eureka are set to announce they’re releasing the Yuen Biao films Dreadnaught and Knockabout on Blu Ray for an April release. Just sold my old Hong Kong Legends DVDs of the pair for £35 which after shipping and fees should cover the cost of that.

1 Like

Love me some Janet Gaynor!

1 Like

Lana Wachowski’s The Matrix Resurrections (2021) materializes on 4K UHD and Blu-Ray March 8th.

Kino Lorber’s In the Heat of the Night (1967) 4K UHD glides in April 19th. The accompanying Blu-Ray contains They Call Me Mister Tibbs! (1970) and The Organization (1971). A great deal if you don’t own the sequels.