Used To Have / Now Have

This thread is just for fun, and because MST3K is often associated with nostalgia. Post one thing you used to have in your childhood that you no longer have (or can get), and conversely one thing you now have (or can get) that you didn’t back then. Can be anything!

Used To Have: Danish Go-Rounds

DanishGoRounds

Now Have: Derechos

Derecho

8 Likes

Then Had: Arcades full of creative mechanical games.

Now Have: Arcades with Axe Throwing

8 Likes

I used to have… 5 1/2" floppy disks that could hold 100K

Now I have microSD cards that hold 256G and which I’m afraid to handle because if I set it down a modestly sized bug might carry it away

12 Likes

used to have: A TV with 13 channels (and usually nothing to watch)

Now have 300 channels (and there’s still nothing to watch!)

(Actually I don’t have cable or satellite TV these days, we cut the cord fifteen years ago or more.)

12 Likes

Used to have: a controller with a D-pad and 2 buttons :grin:

Now have: a controller with ALL the sticks and ALL the buttons :crazy_face:

ps_ctrl

9 Likes

Used to have:

Aerosol cans
(At first, I tried to add a GIF from the show My Secret Identity–anyone remember that?)

Now have:

Jet packs

4 Likes

Used to have

Now have

:sob:

9 Likes

See, so some things are better!

signed,
an introverted misanthrope

10 Likes

Used to have:

Bacardi Breezers: My dad was not a drinker, but he did like a fruity wine cooler every now and again, and he would let me (I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-13 at the time) have a sip. Calypso Berry was my favorite.

Have now:

Kauai Coffee: Was on Kaua’i for the Kaua’i Marathon in 2015 and fell in love. Brought back about 20 pounds every time we went, then started ordering direct to get my fix year round. Delicious. The Mango Twist is the best!!

I like drinking things.

4 Likes

Ok, I’ll do a real one.

Used to have:

Have now:

My father had thousands of LPs, mostly film soundtracks and classical music. He lived to the advent of the iPod, but he would be amazed that not only could I fit his entire collection on a device in my pocket, I wouldn’t even need to keep it there, I could play it wirelessly from a remote computer.

10 Likes

I totally get that! After a trip to Costa Rica I was ordering cases of coffee from there for the next decade. Only stopped when I discovered an awesome coffee roaster right here in the city. But I still pick up a bag of Costa Rican coffee every now and again, because it’s hard to beat that volcanic soil. :coffee:

2 Likes

Nothing to watch except for MST3K?

1 Like

I’m shamelessly dating myself here, but those look like 8" floppies.

I frequently marvel at how far data storage has come. I can’t think of any other commodity in human history whose cost has dropped as precipitously while the quantity has increased equally precipitously. It’s pennies per gigabyte now and shows no signs of slowing.

8 Likes

This is an IBM hard-drive from 1956. It holds 5 megabytes.

This only sounds like a joke. Here’s the actual joke:

That forklift would later go on to try to kill Ken.

16 Likes

clapping applause GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

3 Likes

Yeah based on that hand they may be. And I guess my memory is failing me as I should have said 5 1/4" anyway. I do not still have any 5 inch floppy disks in my home but I do have some 3.5" disks and a Zip drive!

6 Likes

Somewhere here, I have a syquest drive and two 88mb syquest “disks”… one of which has a VirtualPC install w/ DOS, WordPerfect DOS and the level editors for Dark Forces and Wolfenstien 3D?

5 Likes

I still have a zip disk or two around in a box somewhere. No zip drive to read them. I don’t know why I kept them.

3 Likes

I think I got rid of my ZIP disks, but still have some hardshell floppies. Recently bought a USB floppy drive, which is the technological equivalent of buying a coal-fired microwave oven.

8 Likes

Didn’t have cable then, either. I really was one of those people who saw the show thanks to someone sharing the tapes. :slight_smile:

5 Likes