Vacuum forming and bot building

I built a vacuumforming box last week, and have been working on getting some clean pulls from a few different bot parts .

I’ve never used a vacuumforming box before, so I’m learning a lot and having too much fun with it. You’ll literally start looking around the house for items to use as a buck , lol. I was having some issues with webbing on the long side of my pulls, but I think I’ve got it figured out

Anyways , here are a few of my first pulls. Still working out some issues with the dimensions of my box and the size of the buck , but I think I’ll get it…Once I get some more styrene that is…. It is alittle expensive !!!

4 Likes

Could you make the buck taller to account for possible webbing and just cut away the extra?

2 Likes

Thanks for that call out! Yea, I actually elevated them both with some balsa wood (1/2 inch) , and still had some issues. I think I have too much material for the size of the buck tbh. The former box is maybe a little too wide for a single object. I’m going to try adding some blocks or something to maybe pull some of the plastic . I’m a complete newb , so I’m working through it.

I may build a smaller former too , idk yet.

1 Like

Like said in the fb group, you’ve got great starts on these, really nice. I’ll take a cowl! (or two, I’ll goof at least one up) And yeah, I was talking with my wife a few days ago about the different ways to solve larger and smaller pieces, and about friends having second formers (some have bought them and… I dunno, they seem to be all right, but pricy compared to building)

I’m not sure if you saw my post a way back about Steve Neill, he is a make-up/fx/prop/rocket/etc builder, who has the distinction of having been in (the first humanoid alien in the movie) and created the makeup for Experiment 706’s Laserblast. And Spock’s ears for ST:TMP. He has some weekly vids of all of his projects, good fun, and a lot to learn. Not a lot on vac work iirc, but still good stuff.

2 Likes

Awesome , I’ll check that out for sure! My former set up is pretty basic to say the least , lol . I’m using an old toaster oven to heat the plastic , a shop vac, a wooden box I’ve sealed up.

I went with a tad bit too much surface area on the former for the size of what I’m doing. Most of the webbing has been slight or pretty easy to sand and fill , so it’s not major .

I’ve got some styrene on order, so I’m gonna make a bunch of cowls to practice as well as some Servo shoulders . I’ll let you know when I get some more made up. I’d be happy to send some your way !

I really just enjoy tinkering with stuff like this, and like having the ability replace parts or make them as I need. So it’s been fun so far.

2 Likes