Vault Pick Theme Ideas?

I have to applaud the utter audacity of working The Castle of Fu Manchu into one of these.

5 Likes

Itā€™s akin to sticking it into a DVD bundle with two other, much more popular movies.

Youā€™re going to buy this, and youā€™re going to LIKE IT! :smiley:

5 Likes

"I meanā€¦ do I have to buy The Godfather Part III? "

4 Likes

Trying to figure out which 6 would be the hardest to watch as a set was tougher than I expected. Might need to swap in one of the biker movies.

3 Likes

Or The Beast of Yucca Flats!

3 Likes

Yeah the Coleman Francis Trilogy would kill anyone.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t want to do all 3 Coleman Francis movies but almost picked that over RZC.

3 Likes

If weā€™re going the biker movie route, weā€™d have to go The Sidehackers, I think. The movie just has this aura of unpleasantness about it.

Outside of those? Hmmmā€¦ Invasion USA strikes me as a real headcracker.

3 Likes

The Skydivers is incompetent and murky as all hell, but itā€™s so damn weird that it almost borders on the zany outside of the murderousness and crippling depression. That Industrial Arts short is a relief, too.

The Beast of Yucca Flats has lots of pain but also has that mesmerizing sense of weirdness to offset that. Like the Industrial Arts short for The Skydivers, the two shorts here also do a great deal to ease any hurting.

Red Zone Cuba, though, is like a cosmic singularity from which no light could possibly emerge. Even with the Knee Test in the Speech short, it still packs a hell of a wallop. Easily the most hurtful of the Coleman Francis troika.

3 Likes

Oh.

1 Like

The dance party scene redeems the movie, imo.

3 Likes

The random Scotsman and the giantess, yo.

5 Likes

They riff during that scene ā€œItā€™s turned into a John Waters movieā€, and that part of the movie really has that flavor.

5 Likes

That riff was so utterly dead-on, and bless them forever for crafting that.

3 Likes

Funny and dead-on, but also kind of a State Park riff.

4 Likes

Next Vault Pick theme?

1 Like

It wonā€™t be a vault pick for August, but we do have that tribute screening of Pumaman on Friday.

5 Likes

So weā€™ve got Pumaman and Batwoman this month, which would suggest a superhero theme.

Wild World of Batwoman
Prince of Space (has that already been a Vault Pick?)
Samson Vs the Vampire Women
A Hercules movie
Angelā€™s Revenge (Iā€™m reaching here)
Riding with Death (it has Turkey Volume Guessing Man)
Operation Double 007 (James Bondā€¦ ā€˜s brother is kind of a superhero, right?)

6 Likes

Another idea

The Lost Continent (Caesar Romero)
Zombie Nightmare (Adam West)
SST Death Flight (Burgess Meredith, unlikely since itā€™s KTMA)
The Mole People (Alan Napier)
Space Travelers (itā€™s got Gene Hackman, AKA Lex Luthor. Iā€™m reaching again)
Quest of the Delta Knights (David Warner was Ras Al Ghul in Batman the Animated series. I know this was just a Synthia Select, Iā€™m just really reaching).

3 Likes

Spooky October! Similar to Supernatural summer, but less wizards and more dead things!

horror movies GIF by absurdnoise

3 Likes