Video Fridge Filters

Of course, filters are a thing you can really go crazy with, but one that I thought would be really useful is a filter for black-and-white vs. color experiments. I think in general they just have a very different feel and different opportunities for riffing that I’m sometimes more or less in the mood for.

Just a suggestion.

8 Likes

Although it doesn’t seem like that’s a bit of metadata that has been tracked yet. I’d be willing to help do it though.

3 Likes

Maybe the liquid video jars could be various shades of grey as well for these?

3 Likes

Movie A? Red
Movie B? Red
Doctor Forrester? Red!

We can’t all see the same subtleties!!

4 Likes

Right. I don’t think a visual distinction would be necessary or terribly useful (no offense, @SandyFrank ). Adding it as a piece of metadata would be sufficient to include it in a filter. Accessibility first!

2 Likes

Sure, it was just an idea. Stems from my studies of visual informatics, in which you try to encode as much data as you can into the basic attributes of the representation. But given the number of B&W movies in certain seasons, the current rainbow color palette is probably more aesthetically pleasing. It’s quite likely the colors are arbitrarily assigned anyway and not fixed by title.

3 Likes

If your objection is “don’t make the color meaningful”, that is fair enough. I do colorblindness adjustments for our websites at work, so I know the impact of relying solely on color for information encoding. My intention wasn’t to make greyscaling the only indicator, but an additional cue.

From what I know of the types of colorblindness (deuteranopia, protanopia, tritanopia, and their variants), none of them cause colors to be seen as grey. This only occurs with achromatopsia, where there is no color perception. So everyone else would still be able to tell grey from color, and for those people who see all colors as grey, a distinguisher wouldn’t be of much utility anyway.

But this is all moot, as I agree that having the colorful containers is nicer. :hugs:

3 Likes

I was only making a joke/reference to the color blindness skit with Tom Servo but since you brought it up I am legally blind and I have achromatopsia, which is very rare

Small world!

4 Likes

Oh wow, that is rare indeed! I have a whole other thing going with my color vision that is the result of a childhood incident. In hindsight I’m lucky to still have stereoscopic vision. But it’s made me very aware that, literally, none of us see the world quite the same.

3 Likes

Both my sister and I have it. It’s very likely to have been caused by my dad’s exposure to agent orange in Vietnam.

But it doesn’t stop me from enjoying MST! Woo

2 Likes

I’ve confirmed it - they are randomly assigned by the server when you load the video fixed data. Your fridge set of movie vat colors is unique.

5 Likes

Circling back to the original post (sorry for all the digression), I do think this would be a nice extra sorting option. I’d like to see the catalog get big enough one day to where sorting on “3D movie” becomes useful as well.

2 Likes