Virtual theater seems overly complicated

Yep. Perfectly stated. I like the virtual theater a lot, but I much prefer watching on my smart TV, so I stick with the Gizmoplex app to watch that way. At the same time, I can play with the virtual theater whenever the mood strikes me or when I want to get a quick MST3K fix while on a mobile device. This whole thing is very subjective, and not everyone will be perfectly happy, but having two options is more than I expected.

5 Likes

This right here. The campaign was up front and transparent about the virtual theater plans, along with all of the other, alternative means being made available to serve content. A pledge to the campaign was a pledge to the thirteenth season and the delivery methods.

14 Likes

I just got an adapter to hook my laptop USB C port to HDMI cable to TV and am expecting to enjoy Gizmoplex best that way. My other user instinct is tablet app to Chromecast.

We sort of have a Fire Stick too, but it’s not mine and people moving it from TV to TV make it a thing I just wish I had time to figure out. Chromecast sort of works, but slows and frame drops or repeatedly buffers probably because there are too many devices on our network.

I expect cabling laptop to TV to be the best experience.

2 Likes

Personally, I like both. So there. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

When watching new content when it drops, the Google TV dongle and app on my nice big TV. But Just want to throw something on while surf the 'net or whatever, gimme the Gizmoplex and a little silly. I like a little silly. Silly is good for the soul.

8 Likes

The amount of time and money going into the theater would get you about 1 second of an episode. If that.

3 Likes

I got my invite to try out the the-ATE-er last week, but too much other stuff has been happening, so I haven’t had the time. Soon, I hope.

1 Like

I’d actually like it if they could somehow bring the Gizmoplex’s ability to search your content by keywords to the VHX app…

3 Likes

I do not concur with this statement. I find the Gizmoplex virtual theater a welcome and creative change to the same ol’, same ol’. It isn’t complicated at all. In fact, I think it is an easier (and more fun) user interface. Speaking only for myself, just because it is a different UI from what has become perhaps a “standard format” for viewing online media doesn’t make it feel more complex (again, to me). It is however, limited–at this point in time. I know there are plans to allow the interface to be used via Firestick, Roku, etc. So yeah! I think it’s pretty cool as is. I like the interactive nature of it. It reminds me of a virtual version of a Doll House, or the old Batman Playsets…with the “working” batpoles…or the Barbie dreamhouse with “working” elevator, etc. It’s just a bit of fun.

9 Likes

Let’s assume it’s $1M per episode (I think it’s less). For a 90 min episode that works out to ~$185 per second of entertainment. Maybe they have only spent <$200 on the virtual theater. But I doubt it. Maybe if they spent MORE on the theater I would like it more. But I doubt it. But that’s just me. As long as they let me download the episodes so I can watch them on any device I want at any time I want with an interface that I’m already perfectly satisfied with, I’ll be happy.

1 Like

Well, maybe because the creators of the Virtual Theater explicitly asked for feedback. Feedback is only useful if you get the full picture - both positive and negative. If it turned out that only 5% liked it (even loved it) while the other 95% was indifferent, then it likely wouldn’t be worth their time. Not saying that’s the case - I’m sure a healthy percentage will really love it. But the feedback of the non-users is still really important. Why aren’t they using it or what don’t they like about it? (For me it’s the lack of a smart TV/streaming device app - tethering myself to a computer is a non-starter.) They’ll find out the real story once they launch - they should be able to tell how many are watching via the Virtual Theater vs the more “vanilla” interface.

1 Like

The Waterfox browser looks like the Maxthon browser I also use. Same menu problem. But I’m happy with the main Gizmoplex, that works. I might upgrade to Win 7, not sure if anything newer works on my Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 board, 3.5Ghz with 6g memory in PAE mode. Not sure what MPC level it is though.

2 Likes

@TheMajor, I totally agree with you, but where did you hear that there are plans to allow the interface of the Gizmoplex Virtual Theater to be used via Firestick, Roku, and other smart TV apps? I heard the opposite. I certainly hope you’re right! I would love that.

2 Likes

Just saying that you prefer the simpler interface to the virtual theater because the latter is confusing doesn’t really give the designers much to go on, though. Apart from reminding them that some of us will always prefer the simpler interface, which they already planned on keeping available.

4 Likes

I’m currently loving the look and usability of the Gizmoplex Theater. It’s logically laid out and even if it weren’t, clicking on Cambot will help guide you where you need to go. The Gizmoplex Theater has become my primary way to watch my MST3K library because I can sort and see everything instead of how the VHX site and apps break everything up into the collections you bought the episodes in. And if I want to watch on my TV, I just use the Chromecast option.

I am a little sad that the Gizmoplex Theater website won’t work in Safari but that isn’t a deal breaker for me, Chrome is a free download. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There’s feedback. And then there’s complaining about partial preference without regards to the 6 or 7 other alternatives already available and without motivating new ideas to the table. Calling out where Alternaversal should be spending money sorta hints which one’s at play.

:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: Please… for the sake of system protection… just… just please upgrade. Please. If not Win10, at least 7. Do it for the children.

6 Likes

Good question. I have an answer for you. I heard that during the after show discussion after Robot Wars. At least, I think I heard that. If I heard that wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong. That’s for sure. But I’m pretty sure it was brought up as a future endeavor “down the road a ways”.

2 Likes

You could always go back and listen again to confirm it.

1 Like

I beg of thee, please upgrade your OS if you’re really using WinXP. It’s so insecure at this point that e.g. our IT security team at work will actually shut off your ethernet port from the network if it detects an XP host. At this point, Win7 is even kind of marginal, but would still be an improvement.

And if the browser is based on FF70, then it’s 3 years out of date, and I wouldn’t expect much from most websites anymore.

6 Likes

Good idea. Let us know what you find out.

1 Like

New Moon/Pale Moon is not gonna work. It deliberately hews to much earlier builds of Firefox, generally doesn’t incorporate later features and then only piecemeal. I understand the approach and desire for keeping the browser simpler – I used Pale Moon for years, but finally gave up on it a couple of years ago because the number of sites it couldn’t handle just kept growing and growing (and because extensions I needed for browser QOL became less available as they converted to whatever format it is Firefox proper actually uses).

1 Like