Volume XXXII on DVD - is it actually closed captioned?

Thinking of getting this set, especially as Amazon has it on sale, but wanted to know if someone can verify that there are actual closed captions in the set. Shout! has a tendency to announce and even package DVDs as captioned that actually are not, so I’m looking to see if someone who has the set can verify from personal experience (and not simply because it says so online or because the box says so).

Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ll check mine tonight unless someone beats me to it, thereby snatching up all of the goodwill I have accumulated during my lifetime.

3 Likes

I have all the Shout box sets* so are there others you’d like me to check (assuming again someone doesn’t get to it before I do)?

• Oh actually I don’t have them all, on account of them rereleasing the Rhino sets, which I have. So if you want to know through volume 12 (or wherever the switch is), it’s not going to be Shout.
3 Likes

I just checked the rips I made from my discs, and they are all indeed captioned: Space Travelers, Hercules, Radar Secret Service & San Francisco International.

5 Likes

Darn it McCloud! Now I gotta start all over getting people to like me!

6 Likes

Sorry about that Chris! I didn’t fully grok what you’d posted until after I posted. Here, please allow me to replenish your goodwill!

4 Likes

Thanks to both of you! I believe the captioning didn’t start until early in the 30’s there, so wanted to be sure. Definitely will pick it up then!

3 Likes

I’ll work my way back from the mid-30s and see just when it started.

That is unless McCloud wants to take that task as well.

3 Likes

Here’s my report working back from the known:

• :white_check_mark: Volume XXXII - yeppers (I know McCloud confirmed this, but I wanted to make doubly sure their subtitles were not added later, as rips were checked, not the original DVDs; we cool)
  • :white_check_mark: Volume XXXI (Turkey Day Collection) - hoo yes they have captions
  • :white_check_mark: Volume X X X (not as dirty as you think) - also indeed have captions
  • :x: Volume XXIX - heck no, no captions, no sir not no how
  • :x: Volume XXVIII (25th Anniversary Collection) also a negative, Ghost Rider

So it looks like captioning began with volume 30, a nice round number that should stick in memory forevermore. Caveat: I didn’t go forward, so I don’t know if they skipped one down the line.

Aside: I had to write that one volume as ‘X X X’ because putting those letters together makes Discourse upset. Now, I support censoring the bad wordies on a public forum like this, but X three times in a row is not really a bad word, right? Anyway, whatever. It’s just a weirdness that I’ll get used to, because when do I ever need to use that anyway?

6 Likes

Just make it like a Rebus-

Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever (subtract “Ballistic”) (subtract “vs Sever”) (times 3)

3 Likes

You could just write out 30, but for some reason that irks me even more than the spaces in the X X X.

4 Likes

Since I had to dig into my bin of DVDs for this, this also provided a great opportunity to finally rip my copy of The Movie, as that DVD has been sitting around, sealed, forever. You see, it’s the older edition, the one that was selling on eBay for like a million dollars for a while, so I felt I could never ever open it.

Well screw that, I’m gonna watch The Movie tonight!

6 Likes

I don’t have my discs handy to confirm, but I’m pretty sure Shout captioned the re-releases of volumes 1-12. A quick check shows my rips of Catalina Caper and Bloodlust from volume 1 are captioned (I never add captions from other sources; a reasonable thing to wonder, but I only use whatever’s on the discs.)

After ripping every single episode from seasons 1-10 a couple years ago – all from the Shout boxed sets except a few that were only available individually, like Wild World of Batwoman – I think it worked out to almost exactly 50% of episodes captioned.

3 Likes

Thanks and good news! I’ve looked at the Turkey Day set for a while but never got it as I figured it did not have captions, so good to know!

2 Likes