Wallace & Gromit

Introduced my niece and nephew (6 and 9 respectively) to the 90s vintage shorts this weekend.

I thank myriad references on MST3K during the Joel and Mike era leading me to seek them out back in the day. These shorts are precious gems.

I think what I like most about them is one can tell whoever doing them had no interest in being trendy or hip. They just wanted to create this odd little world that is completely itself, no justification or apology.

14 Likes

Never forget this iconic scene from the first short film.

6 Likes

The Aardman Studios documentary is as delightful as everything they produce; must-view if you’re a fan and haven’t seen it yet!

5 Likes

I’ve always assumed that in the host segment in Gamera vs. Gaos (1991) that was a send-up of the Ed Sullivan Show, when Crow mentions “Gromit the Wonder Dog,” it was a reference to Wallace and Gromit, even though their first film was just two years before. I’ve thought that was a pretty quick catching on to what became a classic.

4 Likes

I remember a DVD with the first three shorts and the Were-Rabbit DVD introduced me to the characters.

I want to go rewatch the Cracking Contraptions now.

2 Likes

Love me some W&G.

I often make Wallace’s hand motion when mentioning cheese.

6 Likes

Wallace and Gromit is so unpretentiously awesome. Anyone who can watch one and not feel joy has no soul.

Also,watch the Shaun the Sheep movie. No real dialogue, but still better written than most stuff.

harley quinn rimshot GIF

5 Likes

There’s a Shaun the Sheep episode where the sheep sneak out of the farm to watch a movie and it had me in stitches.

4 Likes

These are enjoyable apart from the fat-shaming with the villainous Bread Lady, and also Mel Gibson. I’m sure I’ve mentioned that before.

1 Like

Star Wars: Visions Volume 2 on Disney+ has an Aardman short called “I am Your Mother.” It’s very Aardman and very fun.

2 Likes

I don’t count the 2000s era short as a real entry. It feels all wrong, so much like they were trying to do a Seth MacFarlane style take on W&G.

1 Like

Mel Gibson voiced a character in CHICKEN RUN, I do not think he ever did a W&G voice. :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking Aardman as a whole, not just The Cheese Blokes.

1 Like

Long before Wallace & Gromit, Aardman was responsible for this iconic music video:

3 Likes

One of my favorite moviegoing memories?

This little theater near me was showing a bunch of Halloween-themed movies in October of 2005. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit was one of the choices.

I went to see it and had an absolutely wonderful time. That dang movie was magic.

7 Likes

I remember seeing them first on PBS years ago along with a behind-the-scenes look.

I own VHS copies of both the Wrong Trousers and A Grand Day Out. I remember showing the former at my high school film club and they loved the short.

Feathers McGraw, the penguin villain from the Wrong Trousers, is one of the most memorable characters in all of animation history. He has no facial expressions so he is hard to read…and a good sign that something isn’t right with him.

8 Likes

A Close Shave (1995) and A Matter of Loaf & Death (2008) were great short films.

Those also upped the ante literally. Feathers McGraw was just looking for easy money hence his robbery. Preston the dog and Piella Bakewell meant business as they killed before and they wanted to kill again!

Those films were also even better as they expanded the world of Wallace & Gromit by introducing other characters like Wendoline Ramsbottom, etc.

I loved Curse of the Were-Rabbit. While it was a good film, I have to echo the opinion of the late Peter Sallis (the voice of Wallace) that the duo are better suited for shorter works rather than full-length feature films.

Anyone ever play the Wallace & Gromit Grand Adventures game from Telltale Games? I watched playthroughs of it on YouTube and I was impressed!

4 Likes

Yes, and I really enjoyed it, but I got stuck on the basement level and never finished it.

Apparently a Wallace and Gromit VR game is coming soon.

3 Likes

One of the things I like about Wallace & Gromit is that it has a 1950s level of technology; it is what you might call “dieselpunk”. This is evident with the rocket in “A Grand Day Out”, the Techno Trousers in “the Wrong Trousers”, etc.

There will be a new Wallace & Gromit film next year.

Wallace & Gromit to return for new film in 2024 | Aardman

Apparently, they may be entering the digital age as Wallace has to contend with a “Smart Gnome” that turns on him.

4 Likes