Weekly Update: 12/3 - 12/6: Los Angeles production winds to a close

Not complaining so much as voicing a concern. Just my observations.

1 Like

Ditto. Exactly my feeling.

ā€œRaisin Snails.ā€ Who names these things? Who decided, we need a name for this pre-packaged pastry; they kind of look like snails, letā€™s go with that? Or is this one of these Midwestern things where the name is translated from some Eastern or Northern European language and everybody just ignores that it sounds awful to freak out the relatives?

5 Likes

They are raisins, the Snail refers to the the pastry being swirled like a snail shell.

2 Likes

Ok, Iā€™ll stop having fun with the name. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

This seems likely. Thank god someone stopped them before their Chocolate Starfish hit the market.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Iā€™d eat a case of Raisin Snails before Iā€™d bite into a single Prune Slug.

3 Likes

Product tagline - ā€œAppearance altered in no way by digestion!ā€

4 Likes

puke GIF

4 Likes

All Iā€™m saying is that, in Louisiana, if we served you something called ā€œsnails,ā€ itā€™s not going to be a pastry and itā€™s going to be just that. Snails. Without raisins. And youā€™d probably love them - assuming you didnā€™t have some kind of snail allergy of course.

5 Likes

I tried snails once at a nice restaurant. Other than the garlic and butter they were bathed in, they were unappealing to me. I respect the fact that others enjoy them though, and Iā€™m glad I tried them.

4 Likes

My brother loves escargot, but heā€™s alone in the family with that, though my partner will eat them if offered.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a difference between a snails allergy and an eating snails allergy? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I guess so. People seem to have so many allergies these days, itā€™s hard to keep up.

1 Like

I was just being snarky, my roundabout way of saying I donā€™t think Iā€™m allergic to snails, but Iā€™m definitely allergic to the notion of eating them.

5 Likes

I figured. I :slightly_smiling_face:

I eat just about everything.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll try any food at least once. Century egg was probably one of the most unusual thing Iā€™ve tried. Itā€™s flavor is extremely mild compared to what its appearance tells you to expect. And, I may have said somewhere on this forum that durian is simultaneously the best and worst thing Iā€™ve eaten. Itā€™s amazing yet gross. :exploding_head:

4 Likes

I hear you, respect this, and DO agree but also feel thereā€™s a sweet spot to achieve.

Iā€™m probably alone here, but to me KTMA was a little too guerilla to watch (great as a ā€œproof of conceptā€ and to look back on as a historical artifact). As Joel himself said, with modern televisions and high def imaging, you want something that looks good (hence part of his decision that season 11+12 movies look better than those grainy, video copy movies we all grew up loving in season 1-10).

Itā€™s on me, but I may still be looking at this through the lens of a show being broadcast nationally for cable airwaves as opposed to something more as a web series. I think season 1 was a huge leap forward from KTMA, Season 2 built upon that and by Season 3 they had the perfect aesthetic.

There was a ā€œhomemade, low budgetā€ feel that never felt ā€œcheapā€. It always felt earnest, heartfelt, and sincere. A team of freaks and geeks lovingly creating sets, costumes and props from what they had to make a ā€œlived in worldā€- without taking things too seriously.

Though heā€™s not my personal cup of tea, Iā€™m reminded of how Svengoolie looks now when heā€™s against green screen as opposed to older episodes that were shot in studio. There is a different vibe completely.

These are just my thoughts, not complaints, but observations.

To reiterate, I have faith in team Alternaversal. Their success is a win for us all. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™d probably fall into this camp. If offered, I wouldnā€™t say noā€¦ Buuuuuuuut probably not first thing I order on the appetizer menu.

1 Like