"Weird Al" Yankovic

I hate to just repeat what’s already been said, but HOLY $&*#, THE CAMEOS. Who isn’t in this movie?

7 Likes

I’m not. At least, I think I’m not - I haven’t seen it yet.

7 Likes

No, I’m pretty sure you’re in the pool party scene.

7 Likes

Several people from this forum can be seen in this shot:

7 Likes

To follow up on this, and sure yeah I guess I’ll put a spoiler tag on this as if there’s a single human who hasn’t seen the movie yet (I guess there are people in comas or whatever)…

When Live Aid came up, that was honestly the point where I said “hey wait a minute…” Not that I believed the stuff up to that point, but this was the first real world, external from Al thing that was off. I was like “Live Aid was in 1985 wasn’t it? And we have to be around 1981 or so here…” So I brought up Wikipedia to confirm. Then I accepted the movie is also playing fast and loose with time and we were all good from then on.

But the little Live Aid kicker at the end, it was so perfect, because it was literally the only thing I had a problem with. BRILLIANT.

3 Likes

Me: Who though, really, seeing this film, would not have seen UHF?
Husband: The youths?
Me: “The youths.” Well, they better get educated.
Husband: After all, UHF stands for “Ultra Hella-old Folks”…

8 Likes

You know what I really appreciated about this film was how it helped remind me of some important events in Mr Yankovic’s life. Yeah, there were a number of things I had forgotten about or, I guess, driven from my mind. So I am grateful that this fine feature is shining a light on some of his lesser talked about, non-concert activities.

I had seriously blanked on his trip to Columbia. My bad.

5 Likes

The Roku Channel.

Does the Roku Channel have anything besides this one movie?

3 Likes

This is my first experience with it—looks like this is their first original content, but I haven’t dug around in the app.

Ah… so it’s a free subscription.

OK, I’ll watch it then.

2 Likes

Ok, on rewatching I had to stop and take a double-take. And look at who I see but Jonah Ray as a member of the punk band that turns down Weird Al. :open_mouth: I forgot he was supposed to be in this. Man is this film just packed.

Emo Phillps as Salvadore Dali was the one that made me almost choke on dinner.

6 Likes

It also has UHF, and that’s everything that matters.

(Naw, it looked like they had lots of cool stuff, but I was there for one reason and one reason only.)

2 Likes
4 Likes

I’ll add my gushing about Weird. That was the funniest thing I’ve seen in quite a while. We caught on pretty quickly that this wasn’t going to be your average biopic and then settled in to enjoy the ride.

That polka party scene had me near tears, as well as the take on Eat It/Beat It. I just thanked the uncle who gave me an Eat It tape when I was 9. (It’s aged a lot better than the Hangin’ Tough tape he also gave me that Xmas). All in all, I think I’ve got a new pick-me-up movie.

I tried to catch all the cameos, but I was off a few times. I thought Ken Marino was John Deacon. :woman_shrugging:t3: A rewatch or twenty should help.

5 Likes

Frank coming in with a hot take:

7 Likes

And while I’m looking at posts in the hellscape…

4 Likes

LOL… Elon the Genius hard at work!

1 Like

The joke is that it isn’t the REAL Daniel Radcliffe manning that twitter account, and Twitter busted the fake account for that.

1 Like

Here I am inspired to recommend UHF to my niece and nephew… then realizing that they’re 10 and 12 and it would have to start with a “What’s UHF?” reading assignment.

4 Likes

So I’ve got to wonder if anyone managed to get a tape of “The best - well not technically the best, but arguably the most famous accordion player in an extremely specific genre of music” Music Awards when it was broadcast back in the 80s. I wanna see it at this years Weird Al Memorial Polka Party.

4 Likes