Weird food you like

Do you like eating something no one else around you seems to like? I just ordered on Amazon some Dutch dubbelzout licorice which has two strikes against it for most people in the U.S.

1. It’s licorice

2. It’s salted with ammonia salts.

Yes, it tastes like licorice and salt and ammonia. And I can’t get enough of it.

What about you? What weird food do you like?

13 Likes

Smoked mettwurst. I love it on a cracker with just a dash of sweet relish. I have to portion it out otherwise I’ll eat it all. Yay mettwurst!!

6 Likes

I’d eat it.

4 Likes

@FlyingSquid : U.S. resident here; really like dubbelzout.

Some other weirdo things I’ll cram into my mouth:

• Mustard on fries (not along with ketchup; just the mustard).
  • Teas with salted cheese. I also thought the idea was absurd, and then I tried it.
  • Brussels sprouts (only listed because it seems tons of people hate them…?)
  • Peanut butter on hamburgers. Peanut butter on lots of things but the hamburger one is admittedly strange. It’s not an “all the time” sort of thing.
5 Likes

My weird food combo is noodle-based pasta (spaghetti, linguine, fettuccine, etc.) mixed with plant butter, with pollock roe pasta sauce and nattō (fermented soybeans) on top.

5 Likes

I’ve had so many former favorite things go back on me over the last year. :frowning: Don’t know whether it’s lockdown-induced brain fever, some actual change in the quality or origin of food supplies, some old-lady hormonal shift, or what.

But I should probably not commit even to stuff I was sure I liked a couple of months ago. [grumble]

4 Likes

My dad being from Iowa means I grew up eating pickle wraps at family get togethers. They consist of a piece of ham (the square Oscar Meyer kind) with a layer of cream cheese spread over it wrapped around a dill pickle spear and cut into bite sized pieces. Yum!

10 Likes

My wife’s family makes a “cheese ball” which is a ball of cream cheese, pre-packaged deli sliced corned beef and chives. And it’s delicious. So I can see the pickle wraps.

9 Likes

When I was younger, I made my first sandwich as american cheese and mustard. @ColdStorage I sometimes have mustard on fries, sometimes mayo.

3 Likes

You stole brussel sprouts before I could get there. They’re my go-to veggie. I am shocked how many people hate them.

5 Likes

Minute rice cooked in canned cream of mushroom soup. It’s the laziest mushroom risotto inspired concoction but it’s seriously one of my favorite things to eat. I also like brussel sprouts. And I liked Crystal Pepsi.

4 Likes

I freaking LOVE escargot and calamari.

Aka snails and squid.

6 Likes

How dare you!

6 Likes

Last month I had a cheeseburger with peanut butter and a fried egg on it. It was delicious.

I had them hold the jalapeños though, I am a giant wuss and can’t eat spicy things. I mean I can it’s just really unpleasant.

3 Likes

I suspect it has something to do with first experiencing them boiled, possibly the worst way to cook Brussels sprouts.

As for myself, I’ve never understood the stigma against anchovies on pizza. Then again, some people consider pineapple a legitimate pizza topping. So what do I know?

2 Likes

Now where did I say I did anything bad to the squid? I just said I love squid!

blinks innocently

2 Likes

I had escargot in Paris, and it was delightful.

But I think France is the only place I would eat escargot.

3 Likes

Dutch licorice is wonderful.

My weird thing is peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches on whole wheat.

2 Likes

Fair…it is one of those dishes I wouldn’t get just anywhere. But I’ll put in a good word for Jack Fry’s in Louisville, KY…they do a darn fine escargot.

Can’t wait to try it in France someday!

1 Like

Horseradish. I like my food to fight me.

10 Likes