Weird food you like

The best escargot I had was at the Louvre.

I’ll also put in a good word for the VERY EXPENSIVE (but worth every penny) chocolates at À la Mère de Famille. I’m not gonna tell you how much money I spent on chocolates that trip.

2 Likes

For me it’s probably uni. It’s sea urchin gonad sushi.

uni-sea-urchin

8 Likes

It’s the “whole wheat” that sells it.

1 Like

:scream_cat:

Pizza Topping Wars are like Host Wars but for people who don’t know this fandom.

3 Likes

I’ve had seared uni and uni as part of other dishes I liked, but raw by itself like that I always thought tasted like snot on rice.

Any sort of roe on the other hand, always a winner.

There’s at least one sushi place not far from me that makes a dish with fish sperm but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet.

4 Likes

Sushi in general would be on a lot of people’s “weird food” list. I lived in Vancouver where sushi was the go to lunch item. The salmon roe sushi was not for me, but it was such a unique food experience I’m glad I tried it.

3 Likes

Sushi’s DEFINITELY my favorite, but I never tried sea urchin. I’m gonna try some one of these days.

3 Likes

@SuperCutie I would describe it as tasting like the ocean in pudding-form. I think the texture is what throws people. Go to your most reputable place and, If you can, get a look at it at the bar before you order. It should be bright yellow-orange and not seeping goop. If it’s goop-y or kind of dingy brownish, it isn’t fresh.

Expect it to be kind of expensive (at my usual establishment, pre-pandemic, it was $15-20 for a serving of 2.)

2 Likes

I haven’t been to a place that had soft-roe. Let me know if you do try it!

My other fav roe- based dish would be she-crab soup. I am a native Marylander, after all.

1 Like

I live in the PNW so summertime Walla Walla (sweet) onions are plentiful and ever since I was a kid I’ve liked to eat raw slices on peanut butter sandwiches.

2 Likes

I don’t think of these as weird, but many people have called them that. Particularly the first.

(i) Fazer brand Salmiakki (Finnish salted licorice, in a particularly strong formulation). Also in an infusion with vodka. /* late edit, but I’m PO’ed that the latest android phone update trashed my custom ringtone of my Finnish “lady friend” pronouncing “Turkinpippuri”: I know I can set it back, but it’s a hassle, although it was so delightful getting a text or call and hearing her mellifluous tone pronouncing “turkinpippuri” with her Turku accent featuring an extremely hard trilled ‘R’ */

(ii) Canned sardines, with the bones and all that in them.

(iv) Various blue cheeses. Fuggedaboutit, I’ll eat it.

(v) heavily peated Scotches, no water.

2 Likes

I dig Bleu cheese, esp Maytag and Roquefort.

As for peated Scotch, I don’t want it all the time (and I couldn’t afford it if I did) but Lagavulin 16 is just amazing. If I’m feeling a little less extreme, Ardbeg 10 or Caol Ila 12 work for me, or I’ll go with Highland Park.

3 Likes

As far as Zout/Salmiakki goes, the mild to medium stuff is great, but the really strong versions are a step too far for me.
Mind you, I like most liquorice, as long as it’s the real thing and not some imitation. Everything from Pontefract cakes to just chewing on a root.

2 Likes

Highland Park is always in stock at my house. It’s the best.

4 Likes

I thought I was the only person who did that…

Also, peanut butter and bacon sandwiches.

4 Likes

I love me a Polish kiszka – described by my ex as ‘Warsaw haggis’ and by a friend who is Jewish as ‘kryptonite’ (I tossed him a package; he took one look at the ingredients and threw it back). It’s a traditional Sunday breakfast for us, fried with onions, and with an egg on top. I’ve also made kiszka and onion pizza and it’s really good.

Speaking of haggis, I haven’t had it, but I would be more than willing to try it. I see that haggis pizza is a thing in the UK…

2 Likes

A proper haggis is a fine thing that is much maligned by those who have never tasted it. MacSween make a good one, which is widely available in UK supermarkets.

I see that, in the USA, something called haggis is sold in tins, and contains few of the correct ingredients. The general opinion seems to be that this fake version is quite disgusting.

3 Likes

When I still drank more than once a month, I preferred bourbon, but I wouldn’t exactly call the peated Scotch fandom “weird” or “niche.” Especially looking at the array of single-malts proudly displayed in most bars and liquor stores around here.

1 Like

It’s far from the weirdest item in this thread, but I had an MST3K ritual once upon a time where I liked to dunk my pretzels into French vanilla coffee. I forget what compelled me to try that, but it worked.

3 Likes

Yogurt pretzels are popular. Maybe you were seeing the future.

3 Likes