Weird Movie Suggestions for my 12-year-old Daughter

I want to say more about it, but in good conscience, I can’t say any more about it, except to say that I treasure and adore that movie.

Hope you dig it when you watch it!

4 Likes

While we’re talking French animated films, have you ever seen A Town Called Panic / Panique au Village? It used to be on Netflix, but it isn’t anymore. It’s ingenious and hilarious. I’ll just share a still to give you the idea:

5 Likes

HOLY HELL, -A TOWN CALLED PANIC- IS THE ===JAM=== :smiley:

3 Likes

I don’t normally want English dubs, but I bet you could do a very funny English dub of that film.

4 Likes

It’s not a good movie, but Dan Ackroyd’s Nothing but Trouble is pretty freaking weird and might entertain her. You could also try Masters of the Universe with Dolph, but it gets bogged down at times. How about Kung Pow! Enter the Fist? It might open the door to the wild, wild world of wuxia.

4 Likes

Oh wow. Nothing But Trouble. I could totally see her being into that one, yeah. Kung Pao didn’t really do it for me. It was funny, but meh. Not really my thing so I don’t think we’ll be revisiting it.

5 Likes

Have you guys binged Space Ghost Coast to Coast yet?

I know it’s not a movie, but it generally pertains to movies…

5 Likes

She has seen it before, but she didn’t really get into it. She doesn’t really know who any of the celebrities are for the most part, so that doesn’t help.

Although speaking of TV, we have been watching what is possibly the most surreal thing the BBC ever did: nobleandsilver - Get Off Me. I can’t describe it because each episode is totally different from the others, but I’ll just share this one, which is a massive deconstruction of the sitcom:

One episode is a fake vacation tape across Europe from a couple of people from some fictional country speaking a fictional language- played totally straight.

3 Likes

Joe vs the Volcano and LA Story

5 Likes

Good suggestions both! I actually watched Joe vs. the Volcano during a screenwriting class because it was written by playwright John Patrick Shanley and the professor wanted to walk us through the writing process for the film. I haven’t seen it since, but I enjoyed it before that class too.

Did you know that Meg Ryan’s characters are supposed to represent the Three Ages of Man from the Sphinx’s riddle?

4 Likes

Tubi is a great source for stuff like what you’re looking for.

5 Likes

Again, not a movie, but still engaging and fun !

4 Likes

Yeah, but it has commercials and I can’t take them.

4 Likes

Okay, I don’t know who is doing that, but just scrubbing through it, they’ve put a massive amount of effort into that joke.

3 Likes

Arena for the Rocky in Space vibe. There’s only one scene involving a plunging neckline dress mishap that could be objectionable (if it ever comes to MST3K, they could easily obscure it).

3 Likes

Eh… I’ve seen it… I can’t say I’d want to watch it again.

3 Likes

Fair enough

4 Likes

It does have a very creative avoidance of nudity when the hero pulls down the heroine’s dress while cupping her breast so that it never is exposed.

You’d have to see it. It’s skillful.

3 Likes

Michel Gondry’s Mood Indigo

Parents guide…

4 Likes

Do I even need to ask if you’ve shown her The Muppet Movie?

6 Likes