Welcome to the "Forum Feedback" Forum!

Why do some people have blue megaphones next to their avatar?

3 Likes

I’m wondering this too. The tooltip for the megaphone says “street_team.” I’m guessing it’s some sort of secret sub-club of the forums. They get the leather jackets and cool patches, and occasionally break out in musical numbers.

4 Likes

That makes sense now. I recall the invitation to join the street team during the KS campaign. I’m an introvert, so I didn’t raise my hand. :turtle:

2 Likes

That “training” is very good. An optional, easy chat with a friendly bot to get experience with the basics on forum life. The certificate at the end is cute. I hope that remains in some form (I wouldn’t change a thing.)

2 Likes

@EBK KINKY git you are!

1 Like

Discobot is a nice introduction, the interaction is an improvement over a basic “how to” guide. Granted, the FAQ isn’t really a FAQ, but I believe someone else pointed that out too.

I will say, I do have trouble with the reply feature. It’s hard for me to see where the reply is in relation to the comment, and vice versa. I did eventually figure it out, but it wasn’t intuitive.

Anyone else, or just me?

3 Likes

It would be nice if direct replies would “stack” under the comment they’re replying to (kind of like Reddit or a Facebook comment?) Having the “reply” show up as a link you need to click and expand to see took me way longer then it should’ve to figure out.

8 Likes

I feel similarly. Having a Reply button in each post and a Reply button at the bottom of all posts is a little confusing. Perhaps the Reply button at the bottom of the page should be called “Post” instead, since you’re not so much “replying” to anyone as just creating a new post.

I’ve also noticed that when using the Reply button inside a post, my resulting post does not always include the indicator identifying the original post.

8 Likes

I agree I didn’t see the “reply to” for each post at first. But even now that I know it exists, I’m even more confused; @McCloud reply has a clear “replying to” indicator for me:

whereas @tommy_gun_servo reply has no such indicator

yet when I expand @MisterScott replies, I see both the above posts listed?!

What’s going on?

4 Likes

if you are referring to what I think you are referring to:
The reply indicator (the arrow pointing to a tiny avatar) doesn’t show up if the post is replying to the post immediately above it.

For example, I just directly replied to your post, but there is no indicator.

6 Likes

That makes perfect sense, thank you!

2 Likes

I just tried to use the phrase “it’s [space] hit-and-miss” in a post and the system refused to post it, gave me this message:

I get the intent but it might be trying to be a bit too helpful.

3 Likes

Testing: it’s hit-and-miss.
There are ways around these types of systems. On another forum I frequent, we couldn’t use the word “cocktail” because it contained a word the software didn’t like. :roll_eyes:

it's [b][/b]hit-and-miss

Please don’t abuse the formatting trick, of course!

5 Likes

Ah, that’s a brilliant solution! I ended up going with the awkward “it is hit-and-miss.”

2 Likes

I hope I didn’t violate any of the community rules by posting that tip. :grimacing:

2 Likes

And if he did violate a community rule, what sort of badge might be appropriate for that? :thinking:

Avoid the wrath of our overlords. It’s miss-and-hit.

5 Likes

LOL WHAT. How absurd! Okay I will adjust the profanity filter for that. Sheesh.

6 Likes

The reply system is honestly my biggest concern with this forum! I don’t feel like it’s super intuitive either, HOWEVER it’s possible there are plugins that could make replies feel more “nested” in the traditional way.

I think the intention is to keep the conversation moving, rather than letting folks get lost in twenty-deep replies (Reddit, for example) that can spiral way off topic. Keeping replies linear means off-topic tangents are probably less likely? It’s a thing I’m thinking about for sure though.

7 Likes

The replies are linear but also connected, so it works.

Am I the only one who had trouble finding out how to post a message? You can reply to a post or reply to a topic, and they are both “reply”. I’d love for the one at the very bottom to be “post comment” or something different. Or just present the text box without a button.

Just my 2 cents. And since we got rid of the penny in Canada, I suppose that rounds down to… uh… oh. :sob:

3 Likes

I agree. @Lesley makes a good point about the danger of letting replies get nested. I think it all works fine as it is. Ideally rename the bottom “reply” button to “post,” but otherwise it all seems to make sense.

4 Likes