Well, they weren't always that bad . . .

Often people will take utter rubbish to pay the mortgage.

3 Likes

I mean, there’s the classic ‘DOA’ where a poisoned man tries to find out who poisoned him before he dies.

7 Likes

New Line was a pretty crappy outfit before they decided to take a big gamble on LOTR.

Not Cannon Films bad, but pretty bad.

7 Likes

Well New Line did distribute what still holds the record as the highest grossing independent film of all time… Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

2 Likes

Yeah, before he dies. :roll_eyes:

The House That Freddy Built

2 Likes

Valerie D’Obici aka Valerie Dobson from Escape 2000 was also Fosca in Passion Of Love. A sort of inverted Beauty and the Beast, though as usual what makes a woman’s features “bestial” is ultra-minor compared to what it would be for a guy. (Thanks again, Male Gaze™.) She won the Italian equivalent of the Oscar (“David di Donatello”) Award for it! Also, this is the story which ultimately inspired Stephen Sondheim’s Passion.

There’s an un-subtitled excerpt on YT, and right away I’m reminded how often the deck is stacked against a competent performer when we meet them for the first time via crappy dubbing:

4 Likes

Hey, hey, hey, don’t be blaming the Male Gaze :tm: for the fact that women prefer Ron Perlman with his makeup on.

2 Likes

I had a crush on Dave The Thune from Nexus once. That’s not the aspect of the dis-symmetry which bothers me

And here I am, just two months out from learning Nexus was even a thing.

1 Like

It foundered story-wise in later years, but in the first few it was a real joy.

I read a new one and it cracked me up. I was honestly not expecting to see a reference to the “Triplets” number from The Band Wagon in a modern comic book.

2 Likes

Roger Corman directed X: The Man with X-Ray Eyes, which is actually a pretty decent low-budget thoughtful sci-fi flick.

8 Likes

Corman is a decent director when he cares. He just didn’t care a lot of the time.

4 Likes

Corman’s editing instincts could be well used in this modern era of grotesque bloat masquerading as quality.
I’m sure it wouldn’t cost much to hire him, either.

5 Likes

I think he cared; it just came second to money.

5 Likes

Well, it is that time of year when we will all be re-gifted once again with Milton DeLugg’s holiday classic, “Hooray For Santa Claus”. A good way to try to forget that ditty might be to try singing one of Mr. DeLugg’s hit songs instead. For example:

or

7 Likes

Holy Toledo! That Cole ditty has been a fave of mine since I was 7 or 8 years old! But I had no idea about the MST3K connection! :bouquet: :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

Bradford Dillman also narrated The Atomic Brain (1963).

I saw this in the theater a couple years ago, and it was definitely not what I was expecting. Still great though!

1 Like

The two versions of D.O.A. perhaps?