Well, they weren't always that bad . . .

He produced (and in some cases, also played on) some excellent albums by Richard Thompson in the '90s. I had forgotten that he’d done soundtrack for City Liimits.

5 Likes

I’m sure he’s tried to forget it, too. :wink:

4 Likes

Arch Hall Sr. actually had a pretty amazing life.

Born in St. Louis, Missouri, Hall grew up in South Dakota, a genuine cowboy. He spoke the Sioux language and had a Sioux name, “Waa-toe-gala Oak-Shilla” (translation: Wild Boy). Hall graduated from the University of South Dakota, wrote for radio, interviewing elderly Native Americans on KOTA, and was a pilot in the United States Army Air Forces. Hall’s experience in the Air Force was satirized in The Last Time I Saw Archie , a 1961 film by Bill Bowers which starred Jack Webb, Robert Mitchum, and France Nuyen. The film was loosely based on Hall’s experience in the Army after being declared to be too old to fly fighters, but too inexperienced to fly bombers, leaving his only option to fly troop transport gliders.

He then worked as a stuntman in Hollywood in the 1930s, a job which expanded into small acting roles in various films, usually Westerns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Hall_Sr.

11 Likes

For all that Joe Don Baker has. . .ropey choices in his resume, Junior Bonner is a great movie and he keeps pace with some real dramatic heavyweights like Robert Preston and Ida Lupino.

“I’m working on my first million! You’re still working on eight seconds”

5 Likes

With a freeway running by your yard, right?

Daran Norris from Hobgoblins has had a successful career in voice animation. I recognize him as Cliff McCormick from Veronica Mars.

5 Likes

And pretty darn great in a Bucket of Blood.

1 Like

Lee Van Cleef is in one of the best movies with an amazing theme song ‘The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly’

Lee Van Cleef is in one of the worst series/movies with an amazing fake theme song ‘Master Ninja’

MASTER NINJA THEEEME SONG

24 Likes
12 Likes

He also made this, this… thing. In the cast are Tom Jones, Kirk Douglas, Hermione Gingold, Chief Dan George, Rudolf Nureyev, Jonathan Winters, The Carpenters, Lorne Green, Charlton Heston, Michael Landon, Terry-Thomas, Elliott Gould, Raquel Welch and Engelbert Humperdinck.
And it’s still rotten.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Ian McShane obviously went to bigger and better things after Diamondhead.

13 Likes

I’ve mentioned elsewhere how Bryant “The Great Vorelli” Haliday was the cofounder of Janus Films, a groundbreaking film distributer that brought foreign films to America for the first time by directors such as Kurosawa, Fellini, Bergman, Ozu, and Satyajit Ray. He mostly was a producer and theater actor - The Projected Man and Devil Doll are two of only six movies he acted in. And he wasn’t British; he was American.

I’ve also mentioned how Ring of Terror’s oldest medical student, George E. Mather, did visual effects for Star Wars.

Duane “Roadrash” Whitaker from Hobgoblins was the pawn store owner who takes Bruce Willis and Ving Rhames hostage in Pulp Fiction.

Lisa Foster from Cave Dwellers started working in special effects and CGI in films and video games, including Die Hard With A Vengeance, James and the Giant Peach, and Parasite Eve.

Last one I’ll mention is that while Space Chief from Invasion of the Neptune Men is a pale echo of Prince of Space, the man who played him became a martial arts legend. Sonny Chiba worked in Japanese television and film for decades before finally breaking through as the title character in The Street Fighter, the first film to be given an ‘X’ rating for violence in the United States and a box office success. It spawned two sequels and is one of Quentin Tarantino’s favorite films, so much so that he wrote a reference to the film prominently into True Romance and cast Chiba in Kill Bill, Part 1 as retired sword-maker Hattori Hanzo.

19 Likes

Wow. Incredible.

To paraphrase Mary Jo, “Everytime you think you’ve scraped the bottom of the barrel, you find a whole new barrel underneath.”

However the story behind this is fascinating. The “new” London Bridge from 1831 (which was built to replace the bridge from the “London Bridge Is Falling Down” nursery rhyme) was deemed unfit to hold traffic in 1968, so the city of London SOLD IT and it was bought by an American developer who reassembled the stones in Arizona of all places. This special was to celebrate its reopening.

Uncle Sam comes off as kind of a dickweed in that animated opening.

7 Likes

The other part of that story is that some ignorant/xenophobic Brits perpetuate the myth that what the American buyer wanted was Tower Bridge, because he thought it, being the most visually striking, was actually London Bridge.
Not true. It is well-documented that the developer knew exactly what he was buying.

2 Likes

I’ve posted a couple of times before, but it fits here, too.

Jean Sullivan, who played the mom in Squirm, played Errol Flynn’s love interest in Uncertain Glory.

8 Likes

Ferde Grofe who was the composer of the music in Rocketship X-M was the first to incorporate the theremin into his work. In addition, he is the composer of the Grand Canyon Suite for which he is most famous, but he also has a number of other compositions under his belt.

8 Likes

Most famously, he’s Cosmo on The Fairly Odd Parents. That kinda blew my mind.

10 Likes

Lee Van Cleef was in lots of things! He’s one of the names we regularly look forward to in our movie watching project.

6 Likes

I’d just like to say, this thread proves once again how smart and knowledgeable MSTies are. It’s one of the best fandoms around.

7 Likes