Well, they weren't always that bad . . .

And apparently choreographed The Star Wars Holiday Special?

I go through Reseda pretty routinely.

It’s all right.

Not to challenge Mr. Petty’s grasp of the geography of the San Fernando Valley, but I think Reseda is as far as you can get from a freeway in the SFV.

Oh, wow, I had the sense of him being older in that but he was…36?!

I might go so far as to say it’s the first one that isn’t awful. (And actually the only one of the original nine that isn’t.)

And, like Bela, to support his heroin habit.

4 Likes

Although the gotcha scene has some really weird staging. Without spoiling it, I’ll just say that no one could have seen the incriminating bit from where they were standing. I find it really jarring.

Let’s not forget that everyone’s favorite Teenage Caveman (Robert Vaughn) was a Columbo murderer, too. He was older and even less teenagery then, so it doesn’t really fit the theme, though. Hmm… I can’t think of any other Columbo-MST connections off the top of my head.

5 Likes

To say that is an understatement, undermines how big an understatement that is…

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Acorn TV

5 Likes

This really got me going.

Dana Elcar was in the Columbo episode “Any Old Port in a Storm” (with Donald Pleasance) and in San Francisco International.
Robert Donner was also in “Any Old Port in a Storm” and was in Catalina Caper.
Martin Milner was in an early Columbo with Jack Cassidy and was in SST Death Flight.
Tim O’Connor was in 2 Columbo episodes and Stranded in Space.
Susan Howard was in a Columbo episode and Superdome.
Lee Grant was in an early Columbo episode and was in Space Travelers.
Mariette Hartley was in 2 Columbo episodes and was in Space Travelers.
Roddy McDowall was in a Columbo episode and was in Laserblast.
Bradford Dillman was the victim in the Columbo episode where Ray Milland was the killer, and was in Lords of the Deep.

That’s all I have tonight.

9 Likes

Just like in

SPOILER

Laura

He was great in that, I love that movie.

Oh, for sure. And Jason X is fun, but very lightweight, if its possible to use that term about a film in a mostly bad horror franchise.

I feel like younger Misties watching Codename: Diamond Head might be confused about why the crew references Lovejoy non-stop. But there was a period in the mid-90’s where the A&E cable network constantly ran advertisements for Lovejoy. All I wanted was to watch some Law & Order reruns, and I had to have Ian McShane smirking in my face every commercial break.

6 Likes

Confession: It’s not just the younger ones. I’m 52 and that episode accounts for 90% or more of the times I’ve ever heard Lovejoy mentioned. I guess I wasn’t watching A&E in the ‘90s, but that show just never hit my radar.

8 Likes

If I remember correctly from the episode guide, they weren’t quite sure why they made so many Lovejoy references.

6 Likes

This got me wondering… how many Academy Award-winning actors have appeared in MST3k-riffed movies, either before or after their wins?

7 Likes

Let’s see… in addition to Lee Grant (winning for Shampoo) from Space Travelers, we know we’ve got:

• Ernest Borgnine (won for Marty, appeared in Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders)
  • James Earl Jones (won an honorary Oscar in 2012, appeared in City Limits)
  • Gregory Peck (won for To Kill a Mockingbird, appeared in Space Travelers)
  • Maximilian Schell (won for Judgment at Nuremberg, appeared in Hamlet)
  • Gene Hackman (won for The French Connection and Unforgiven, appeared in Space Travelers)
  • Christopher Plummer (won for Beginners, appeared in Starcrash)
  • Martin Balsam (won for A Thousand Clowns, appeared in Mitchell)
  • Jack Palance (won for City Slickers, appeared in Outlaw, Angels Revenge, and H.G. Wells’ The Shape of Things to Come)

That’s just onscreen talent and doesn’t get into the folks who worked behind the scenes.

That’s also just for performances, so that doesn’t take folks into account like Ron Howard (won for directing and producing A Beautiful Mind, appeared in Village of the Giants) or Clint Eastwood (won for directing and producing Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby, appeared in Revenge of the Creature).

Plus that’s only the nationally run episodes. If we take the KTMA years into account, that also gives us Martin Landau (won for Ed Wood, appeared in Cosmic Princess) and Henry Fonda (won for On Golden Pond, appeared in City on Fire).

14 Likes

…So was Space Travelers the greatest cast ever to make a bad movie?

9 Likes

That stands to reason, sure!

1 Like

I don’t really think it was a bad movie. Out of the movies they did, it’s one of the more decent ones. Its only real crime is its slow pace.

5 Likes

That would be the other good (or at least fun) movie in the franchise. I actually went to the theater to see this one and I was laughing like a hyena throughout most of it, which probably annoyed the other two people in the theater.

“Guys, it’s okay! He just wanted his machete back!”

“I don’t think he’s out there.”
“Why don’t you just stick your head out and have a peek?”

F13 VI was apparently a big part of the inspiration for Cabin in the Woods.

I love the fact that the hallmark of the whole series is “People who didn’t watch any of the previous movies write, produce and direct the next entry.” And also, “I needed the money.”

That’s a bold question. BOLD!

4 Likes

I enjoyed Jason X.

3 Likes

Timothy Van Patten went on to direct episodes of The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire.

John Allen (Deathstalker) Nelson had a key role in a season of 24, and his co-star Carla Herd was the ambassador to Denmark under the previous administration.

3 Likes

And nutty as a fruitcake.

4 Likes

To be fair, Lovejoy was an excellent show.
One of the few shows when I still lived with my parents (after the point I really should have moved out) my Mom would put on and I would stay and watch.

3 Likes

I stumbled across the fact about her ambassadorship last year. Her acting career was mercifully short.

4 Likes

This seems awfully harsh towards fruitcake.

4 Likes

You’re my new favorite person.

3 Likes