We're cancelling each other over MST3K takes today. What's your cancellable MST3K take?

Agreed that season 4 is the first fully formed season. S3 has great moments and episodes but by the start of 4 they’re completely locked in and officially firing on all cylinders.

Also agreed that Pod People, despite the brilliant Idiot Control Now, is an incredibly dull movie.

3 Likes

Crooooow does not, in fact, have only one ‘o’.

5 Likes

I find S8 to be, well… not terrible per se but wildly uneven. For every episode I love there are two others which I have to slog through. Again, it’s the overemphasis on repetitive anger and meanness in the riffs and sketches which can be wearing. Both its first and last episodes are really tough on me. Revenge just feels like they’re nervous and awkward in their new space with new people. Overdrawn is indifferently acted, and the riffers’ over-reliance on fat jokes is super-annoying to me.

3 Likes

I hated M Waverley

runs away

10 Likes

I prefer the old kitbashed sets and door sequences.

I can’t watch the Gypsy Rose one-woman show.

5 Likes

The Russo-Finnish episodes leave me cold

Ducks

5 Likes

Their chemistry in Season 11 was like a 8th-grader constructing a stink bomb. I was willing to attribute this to Oswalt’s personal trauma at the time, but the writing was pretty bad to start with. Since then I’ve thought it has been better.

2 Likes

I don’t hate him, but I don’t really like him either. Both Waverly and Growler were pretty forgettable IMO. The show really didn’t need anymore bots.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Beast of Yucca Flats and Hamlet isn’t that boring thanks to the great riffs.

9 Likes

I don’t like the extra bots and I really didn’t like that part of season 11 where Jonah would introduce a new bot and Tom and Crow just get angry about it. That did absolutely nothing for me as a running theme.

So… it’s not just you. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I have no large complaints, but I’m weird like that. In other things I am a fan of I can find much to criticize, but MST is immune to my cynicism. The laughs from every season of this show, and every performer, helped me through many bad times. Being an "essential worker’ and surviving Covid at the beginning of the pandemic, as well as beating alcoholism before the pandemic, were due in no small part to the laughs I found. I loved not having to think too much, with the exception of very obscure riffs, which were a happy form of brain boosting. There are minor quibbles, but if it weren’t fun I wouldn’t watch, and I wouldn’t back it. I just admire every creative person on MST3K who contributed to my simple joy. It’s how I made it through. I can understand other opinions and where they stem from, but I look at this show as an angel in disguise. I’m grateful. Plus I have made friendships because of the show.

18 Likes

Nph singing with kinga. Season 7. And everything involving a home built robot. K. Mostly tongue in cheek, but keep things positive if we can here. Doesn’t put on a good show for the new joiners :joy:

4 Likes

You, sir, need to leave with such disregard for canon :rofl: totally said it on the credits :grin:

2 Likes

Two takes, for twice the cancelling:

I have no problems watching either “Hamlet” or “Sidehackers”, despite how dreary and dark the movies themselves are.

Crow could do so much better than Kim Cattrall.

8 Likes

Any scene with Bobo, Pearl, and/or Brain Guy is unwatchable.

3 Likes

Season 1 is very easy to watch.

12 Likes

Tbh, I don’t have much of an issue, and end up watching a fair few S1 EPs on my rotation.

4 Likes

Patton Oswalt isn’t funny. He doesn’t get the show, he isn’t anywhere near as good as TV’s Frank, and Joel made a mistake in casting him.

3 Likes

(In case anyone was wondering, this thread title is a reference to a tweet that went viral earlier in the week, and of course spawned a whole mess of knockoffs.) “we’re cancelling each other over food takes today. post your cancellable food take.” / Twitter

(I love the takes in this thread so far and you’re ALL cancelled.)

7 Likes