Were Dr. F and Frank Broke?

Absorbing them long ago, enough clues oozed out of classic episodes to hint Dr. Forrester and T.V.'s Frank had no cash to speak of. Am I the only one to catch this? Haggling on who’s paying for Torgo’s Pizza to Frank lamenting on money here and there, the Mads were not well off financially. So it seems. Am I way off?

7 Likes

Maybe it’s the Midwestern vibe of the show leaking through. Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy weren’t that far off either.

4 Likes

It’s hard being an evil scientist on a budget!

6 Likes

It is hard being a good scientist on a budget too…

5 Likes

Wasn’t the story that they got booted from the Gizmonics faculty for being tools and were basically squatting in Deep 13? Of course it would be difficult to maintain a tethered satellite without someone noticing. I should really just relax.

6 Likes

I don’t know about Dr. Forrester, but Frank gives all of his money to the Then Came Bronson Preservation Society.

4 Likes

Maybe Frank Turning down the endorsement deals had something to do with it…

2 Likes

Tell me about it. That scene in Jurassic Park where Hammond offers to fund their research hits a lot harder now than it did when I first saw that film.

“You’ll fund my research for how long if I visit an island of murder-lizards? How do I sign?!”

4 Likes

Well, in Alien from L.A., Frank has enough change for the Vend-a-Gut, so they aren’t completely destitute.

Most likely they have money but spend it unwisely; they can’t afford better food, for example, because they spent the next three months of the household budget on curdless phone research.

3 Likes

I wonder how much they lost for being shunned by the scientific community for being mad scientists…

1 Like

What is sad is when your research costs are a couple thousand but you still have to pay out-of-pocket. Ah science!

2 Likes

I just assumed they were cheap.

1 Like

All the above. They were cheap, they were discredited, they misspent what they did have on ideas leaving very little on the day to day, and what science costs anyway mad or otherwise drained what they had. They’re hoarders and collected random objects they then spruced or cannibalized for their various experiments. Their money got soaked into what they did not how they lived.

3 Likes

I prefer to think that they were obsessed with their research and couldn’t be bothered with the mundane minutiae of everyday existence.

3 Likes

They did manage to make ends meet by selling experiments to Comedy Central for a few years.

1 Like

Until Frank fled to Second Banana Heaven and the experiments went from 24 to 6.

1 Like