We're gonna need more chat rooms.

The chat was pretty insane about 30-40 minutes prior to the premiere. I think we were at 1.2k people at that point. Once it passed 2k and more people were “chatting” it was completely insane. Scrolling so fast that not only could no one read anything, but it was glitching a bit and some of the comments were getting “stuck” in the middle of the screen for a few seconds.

We’re gonna need more chat rooms, with a limited number of people allowed in each, or we can’t really interact, it was just basically 4k people shouting comments and no one could hear/read anything. =)

17 Likes

Sign me up for the themed Midwesterner chat room, even though I’m not one. It will be the most civil chatroom on the place.

“Oh, you go ahead and talk, dear.”
“Well, you know, I was just saying, everyone’s so nice and the place is so reasonable.”
“Oh, yah, you know. And with a shawl over your legs the temperature is just right.”

12 Likes

This is exactly why I’m not into Twitch.

7 Likes

Trying to follow chat was like trying to read the Matrix.

13 Likes

I’ve found that with Twitch it usually depends on the popularity of the stream and what kind of community they’ve built. Normally smaller streams are much easier to chat in and enjoy compared to the super popular streams with thousands of viewers/chatters who are just spamming various memes.

4 Likes

At least Twitch has options for the streamer to slow down the chat.

3 Likes

It was so fast…like chat on meth and cocaine…lol

2 Likes

Also, the censoring was weird…like poop was ok, but pee wasn’t. They also bleeped rum, lol.

3 Likes

I would imagine that’s just a built-in chat filter in the third-party chat software they are using. They may or may not have any control over what words are censored.

4 Likes

If every few seconds that coalesced into “Mike broke the Hubble” then you’ve pretty much nailed it.

5 Likes

It was totally an auto censor. Those things are funny…and could you imagine having to manually screen for curse words?? :exploding_head: :laughing: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Yeah, the chat was insane. Hilarious and surprisingly well behaved, but insane. Almost impossible to read or participate in.

2 Likes

Staring at the premiere night chat, only catching snippets of words and phrases and shouted mantras as they zipped past at lightning speed, was like watching the rapid evolution of a civilization unfold before my very eyes at an artificially accelerated rate! I stared, stunned, as, in a matter of mere moments, the reaction to the blessed White Dot went from confusion to dismay to understanding to acceptance and reverence and then outright worship!! It was like witnessing some insane anthropological experiment conducted by Mads! Sobering.

I won’t soon forget what I saw in the chat the night that the White Dot descended upon us, I can tell you this.

7 Likes

Before it became hyper insane, we were all typing words with spaces (like r u m) to get around the auto-censor…lol

2 Likes

I wonder if they should have some kind of lottery to win a spot in the chat. Not an ideal situation, but neither is having 20 chat rooms. If they do have multiple rooms I would be fine with a few that allow more NSFW type of comments. The chat really is a huge part of the fun in a live shared streaming experience that I hope they come up with a solution.

1 Like

Just keep the live chatting to the forum? It seemed to work pretty well during Turkey Day and the Summer series.

2 Likes

I think a Twitch-like slow mode with a reply cooldown is all we really need.

I’d rather be part of one big chat than smaller, separate ones. I’d hate to see the community splinter based off of chat differences.

1 Like

“Make live event chat vaguely functional” is on my to-do list for this week.

We are using a third party chat thinger that I barely had time to look at pre-event. I am definitely going to see what the censoring controls are, or if they exist, and also looking at other options for throttling the scroll.

22 Likes

The Mid-Western chatroom’s official name should be “Danger! HotDish!” :wink:

And every chat session will end with a traditional “Minnesota goodbye”… It starts in the living room, then the door, then the car… about an hour later… :wink:

5 Likes

“Vaguely Functional” is the name of my “Men at Work” cover band?

3 Likes

I’d be for smaller rooms, randomly assigned. So we’re not breaking up into our own bubbles, but are forced to mingle with different people every time.

5 Likes