Whamageddon... are you surviving? (Now in 2023!)

Apparently Rifftrax’s Conor Lastowka plays LDB-avoidance with his pals every X-mas.

He just lost due to…a musical improv comedy Christmas-Carol-mashup. Details on the 372-pages patreon.

Lost on the 7th. I thought I was safe because when I turned on my local station playing Christmas music, they were playing the Glee cast version. NOT A HALF HOUR LATER…BOOM! Now they play it constantly. Last year they couldn’t stop playing Bruce Springsteen’s version of ‘Santa Claus is Coming to Town.’ They need more songs in their rotation.

2 Likes

I look this song up year round. I figure if I can overcome it’s deadliness I’ll be immune to death itself, so far it’s worked.

3 Likes

But I love Wham’s Last Christmas :frowning_face:

Well, the many, many lyrics are easy to remember. There’s that.

1 Like

It’s better than at least 60% of Christmas songs, and 90% of Christmas pop songs, so I don’t mind it.

You’re allowed to enjoy things even if other people don’t!

For me this is another one of those songs that I wouldn’t mind if it weren’t so overplayed. I stopped listening to seasonal radio stations years ago (too much repetition, too limited a playlist), but you can’t avoid it if you want to go to stores and restaurants.

I prefer the Wham version to the Taylor Swift cover. Even though I think Taylor herself is pretty cool.

2 Likes

Actually, I’ve commented that it seems like they’re playing older versions of songs almost exclusively. I’ve heard Perry Como’s version of “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas,” Brenda Lee’s “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree,” and Gene Autry’s “Rudolph” and “Frosty” versions over and over and over and over, while more “contemporary” Xmas songs have been mostly absent. I’ve only heard Mariah, Springsteen, and Buble a few scant times. It’s like they have a playlist of 15 songs and that’s it.

Very strange.

The thing is, it doesn’t feel like it’s very difficult to avoid that song if that’s what you’re trying to do. (I don’t WANT to avoid it, but it doesn’t feel like it’s particularly hard to do so).

Now, trying to avoid Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You”? THAT would be a challenge.

1 Like

I’ve heard two different covers of “Last Christmas,” but not the original, so I’m still in the running.

Honestly, I’ve always found the song to be saccharine and cloying, and not really a good candidate for cover versions. But it’s a Christmas song, so there’s an iron rule that it has to have at least ten different covers.

So far so good. I have already heard All I Want For Christmas Is You though.

This cover version is the cure for Whalhalla :slight_smile:
The Rubber Band - Last Christmas - YouTube

2 Likes

That’s pretty damn good. I’m gonna have to bookmark that here. Thanks for sharing that!

1 Like

Was at a Christmas Tree lot yesterday, all Bing Crosby. I’m okay with that.

2 Likes

Went for pizza at lunch today. The pizzeria had a holiday station on and, impressive to say, I didn’t hear any of the overplayed ones. I even heard two religious songs… someone’s version of O Holy Night and that Pentatonix song about Mary.

(I’m not religious, but I do get tired of hearing nothing but the same old Tin Pan Alley standards over and over again.)

1 Like

I heard it yesterday while ordering a coffee

Is the upshot of this thread just never to go to a coffee joint?

1 Like

Warning: If you make a Spotify Christmas playlist - no matter how indie or unique - DO NOT CLICK ENHANCE. You will be whammed several times over; all you’ll want for Christmas will be anything but Mariah Carey; The Boss will be comin’ to town; y tendrá un Feliciano Navidad.
warning on air GIF by Adult Swim

2 Likes

But will they also add Dominick the Donkey?

Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

2 Likes