What actor or actress in a riffed movie had the best career after that role?

My favorite is Bryant Haliday, who was in Devil Doll and The Projected Man. He co-founded Janus films, the distributor of films by Kurosawa, Truffaut, Bergman, Fellini and many others.

Janus is also the parent company of Criterion, which puts out the Criterion Collection discs.

People sometimes bring up riffed films in the Criterion Collection, but every Criterion title was brought to you by a riffed actor.

11 Likes

Lisa Kudrow

4 Likes

John Williams made the music for Daddy-O.

9 Likes

So, his first movie wasn’t his last after all.
dirty harry GIF

Dean Devlin from City Limits worked with Roland Emmerich on their earlier films like ID4.

8 Likes

They did. I just saw Nineteen Eighty-Four (the 1953 British TV production) that starred Peter Cushing and had Donald Pleasance playing the role of Syme.

4 Likes

Demi Moore did pretty well after Master Ninja! Johnathan Demme did Silence of the Lambs after The Incredible Melting Man.

8 Likes

And also has done a bunch of TV series, including The Outpost!

4 Likes

Funny you should mention Murder, She Wrote, but for the sheriff in Laserblast going on to be the sheriff of Cabot Cove was probably the peak of his career. Unless you count appearing as a cab driver in an episode of Columbo.

8 Likes

Didn’t Dame Angela cast a bunch of people in that show just so they would keep their SAG cards and associated health insurance?

7 Likes

AND James Horner gave us that great Wizards of the Lost Kingdom I sound!

(Yeah, I know it was the recycled bit from Battle Beyond the Stars, but STILL.)

7 Likes

James Earl Jones was in City Limits.

What ever happened to that guy?

7 Likes

He had his professional feuds here and there…

4 Likes

Already famous at that point though.

5 Likes

I would still argue that he went on to have the best career after that role.

5 Likes

I saw that Burr DeBenning (DOCTOR! TED! NELSON! from The Incredible Melting Man) played a character in A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child, so… upgrade? I guess?

4 Likes

Is that really an upgrade?

6 Likes

Okay, maybe a lateral move.

6 Likes

Since Kim Cattrall got mentioned, Robby Benson, also from City Limits, mainly because of his role as the Beast in Disney’s Beauty & The Beast, as he then went on to voice the character in pretty much every follow-up and spin-off that got made, including the Kingdom Hearts franchise, which was fun. That’s job security, right there.

And, strange as it is to say, Bill “Dropo” McCutcheon from Santa Claus Conquers The Martians.

4 Likes

Carla Herd/Sands (Deathstalker & the Warriors from Hell) went on to be US ambassador to Denmark.

4 Likes

And she’s kind of nuts.

6 Likes