What are "must see" episodes for someone who is new to MST3K?

I watched them with my dad when I was younger, but recently got bit by the rifting bug and now I’m trying to catch up after 30 years.

Which episodes/movies (what the heck do you call them?) Would you recommend every fan should see?

4 Likes

Honestly, everyone should see Manos. I know some people don’t like to suggest it to beginners, and I understand the rationale, but at least see it at some point. IMO, it’s among the best episodes.

Another truly great episode is Time Chasers. It is so close to beating Manos as my favorite episode, it’s that good. Meeting Mike’s brother, Mike’s little chat with Pearl in her van, Crow traveling back in time and so many other great moments.

The riffs in both episodes are great, btw.

5 Likes

Why do you think some don’t suggest it for new fans? Anything in particular?

1 Like

They feel it’s too difficult for newcomers to take in. It’s pretty rough around the edges, so for some that could be a turnoff. I enjoy its many quirks, and Torgo is a hilariously awkward character.

2 Likes

Honestly, the Netflix episodes are a solid introduction to the show. I’m a big fan of Cry Wilderness, Carnival Magic, and Mac and Me.

9 Likes

I loved all three. Just watched Cry Wilderness a couple of nights ago. Carnival Magic had me in stitches

4 Likes

I’ve seen Carnival Magic three or four times in the past month and a half alone. Instant favorite!

6 Likes

When the monkey is sweeping the floor in the RV and all three (Crow, Jonah, and Tom Servo) are freaking out about the monkey and what it can do… I thought I was going to die from laughing so hard lol

6 Likes

Biased I’d say Space Mutiny
Manos is such a classic episode
Reptilicus was a perfect episode from the Netflix era

7 Likes

LOL same here. Cried laughing the first time I saw that scene

2 Likes

I see Manos as a boss level. You take in a few episodes, then you graduate to the next level by defeating Manos.

Mitchell! was the one that hooked me, and I’ve recommended it quite a few times.

7 Likes

There are tons of good “intro” episodes to watch, some, not in any particular order:

I Accuse my Parents
Reptillicus
Space Mutiny
The Brain That Wouldn’t Die
The Amazing Colossal Man
Parts: The Clonus Horror
Manos, The Hands of Fate

Pretty much anything from season 3 on, that seems to be when they hit the “sweet spot” and had good movies and good riffing. Not saying that the earlier seasons were bad, I have watched many of those episodes multiple times and still enjoy them.
Something that new viewers have to realize or possibly be told, is that sometimes the movies jump around so much that you’re left wondering "Huh, what just happened. But, then again, you’re not really watching it for the movie itself, but for the comments.

6 Likes

I start out newbies that are interested with

Space Mutiny
Godzilla Vs Megalon
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
MST3K The Movie

4 Likes

Just about to add Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

3 Likes

You watching it on Pluto TV right now by chance? Lol

3 Likes

There are so many! I would personally recommend (in no particular order):

Giant Spider Invasion
Space Mutiny
The Killer Shrews
Reptillicus (this one also gives context to the mads experiment)
Cry Wilderness

I think these are pretty easy for a newcomer to digest.

2 Likes

I would add two great Joel episodes that also have classic MST3K songs:

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Catalina Caper

4 Likes

Nope, someone mentioned Time Chasers and for some reason that made me think of Overdrawn
I do, however, now want to go watch both :rofl:

4 Likes

I would also put most of the Tony Cardoza and Coleman Francis “oeuvre” in this category. The episodes are mostly good, but not the best way to introduce someone to the show.

2 Likes

I would recommend:

Fugitive Alien
Time Chasers
Mac and Me
Space Mutiny

4 Likes