What are "must see" episodes for someone who is new to MST3K?

I’m scared by Mac and Me.

It’s a very sadistic movie.

You have aliens being sucked up by vacuum cleaners, disabled kid falling off cliff, dancing at McDonalds… It’s unbearable.

3 Likes

I’m also surprised by the number of folks that have recommended Mac and Me or Carnival Magic. I guess it just goes to show how broad the MST community really is

2 Likes

Watching MSTK3 The Movie tonight with my wife as we do laundry haha.

3 Likes

I’d say Cry Wilderness and Cataline Caper are pretty good to start people out on. I’m also surprised no one’s yet said Wizards of the Lost Kingdom?? That one had me rolling on the floor. Probably the first one would be better for a newbie because the second is slightly more unbearable :joy:

3 Likes

@humbledstone My top ten episodes in no particular order: The Final Sacrifice, Space Mutiny, Godzilla, Mitchell, Reptilicus, The Brain That Wouldn’t Die, Squirm, War of the Colossal Beast (w/ short Mr. B Natural), The Day the Earth Froze (w/ here comes the circus) and Girl in the Gold boots. Please note that list has been known to change.

4 Likes

@TinyRaven Awesome, thanks for the list, adding it to a que to check them out.

2 Likes

Watched the MST3K Movie last night where they riff This Island Earth. It was a little surreal to see how the movie approached the skits between the riffing, you can tell they had a bigger budget. Still really enjoyed it, but I kinda like the low budget feel, and how the skits feel very hand crafted.

As far as This Island Earth goes, it was a really great film. The pacing was everywhere, and the plot wasn’t exactly clear. But the acting and special effects were not cheesy, I think I would enjoy the movie without the riffing, but the riffing made it even better.

@TinyRaven, @MisterScott, @YettiChild, @remylebub, @Chibigodzilla, @Eevee
Let’s add a little fun and let you all decide what I watch next with a poll:

What MST3K Movie Riff should I watch next?
  • Manos, Hands of fate
  • Reptillicus
  • Space Mutiny
  • Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
  • Time Chasers
  • The Final Sacrifice
  • Pod People

0 voters

4 Likes

All of the above

4 Likes

:rofl: My wife is upset with me because she had the theme song stuck in her head all night.

3 Likes

The pacing was everywhere, and the plot wasn’t exactly clear.

To be fair, quite a bit was cut from the film. I highly recommend watching it unriffed, it’s actually a really good classic sci fi movie!

2 Likes

That makes so much more sense! I will check it out unriffed. I thought there were some interesting plot developments that seemed to have dropped off unexpectedly.

2 Likes

I always found it odd that the movie is actually shorter than an episode.

As far as an episode to watch next @Humbledstone , any of those are awesome episodes; if it were me, I’d watch them in chronological order. Hence Pod People

3 Likes

Honestly, with this list, it’s like choosing your favorite child. Any one listed will deliver the goods.

6 Likes

Now to teach my kids to deliver some beers :rofl:

1 Like

Just don’t do what my dad did, when I asked to try one of the many beers I retrieved for him, he gave me a drink of a warm Hamms beer. I hate even the smell of beer now.

2 Likes
  • Cave Dwellers
  • Mitchell!
  • Mac & Me

I think that’s a good solid mix.

2 Likes

Hobgoblins is another solid one

“There’s been a mistake at the movie studio”
“We made the movie Hobgoblins”

3 Likes

Moon Zero Two
Laserblast
Gamera vs. Gaos

2 Likes

Going with the Pod People.

tom servo robot GIF

3 Likes

This post here is a great start… https://forums.mst3k.com/t/your-five-desert-island-episodes-go/52?u=porthuber

2 Likes