What are some classic Monsters and Villains you want to see return to Doctor Who?

I’m not scared of him, he’s wearing a bin-bag!

3 Likes

If it ain’t deeply goofy and corny while somehow, at the same time, also being high-art about the value of life occasionally, it ain’t Doctor Who.

3 Likes

I am going to die on this hill. The Cheetah people was pretty much the pinnacle of terrible late-era classic Who. I love McCoy and I love Ace but that story was just awful.

1 Like

Also, I don’t know how they could do Fenric again, I like 7 & Ace’s heavy defeat of him, but another character like that would be very fun!

1 Like

Humans.
Seriously, there are many very good classic stories where humanity is “sciencing” or exploring or colonizing, only to stir up trouble with unknown consequences or an indigenous species.

Some other favorites I thought of were maybe not great candidates but were part of favorite and imaginative stories, like Sutekh or Magnus Greel.

Hopefully anything brought back will survive the process, and resist being turned into a moustache-twirling caricature. The shorter length and action-packing of the modern series leaves little time to develop background and character.

3 Likes

I just rewatched it, I loved it so much.

But that may be residual childhood energy :smiley:

3 Likes

The battle against Fenric was won, but there are still skirmishes that could happen.

An angry god with nothing to lose because they know their older self already lost, Vs. The Doctor?

HELL YEAH, lets get WILD!

2 Likes

Magnus Greel makes so much more sense if you know that script was going to be a second Peter Pratt Master story until the last minute. I want that Deadly Assassin followup.
At least we got Jago & Litefoot out of that serial, they only meet for the last two episodes, but dammit they steal every scrap of the show and go beyond it with their perfect acting chemistry. I practically inhaled their BF series, lol.

3 Likes

Ok… you won me over. Bring Back an angry bitter even more spiteful (maybe loopy too) Fenric, that sounds wonderful!

2 Likes

He’s not quite a villain and not quite a hero. How about Sabalom Glitz?

3 Likes

Fenric: “You will beat me eventually, Doctor… but that you was willing to do things that this you would refused”
Doctor: “You don’t know what “This me” will do…”

BOOM

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the Trial season, so yes. You’d need a writer with a Robert Holmes flair, but yes, he could be fun!

2 Likes

Glitz would have to be recast, sadly.

I’d love to see him and Mel as Space-Adventure Pirates though.

3 Likes

Mel & Adric have something in common: They’re both fun, resonably annoying but still decent people in their first season, and then the next person in charge of scripts throws out all that in their second season and makes them unapoligetically annoying before getting rid of them.

2 Likes

While he’s still in with us, and in AMAZING shape… 9th Doctor adventures with Mel and Adric anyone?

It makes me so mad we’ve no new full stories, HE’S RIGHT THERE BBC! USE HIM!

Thinking about it, he’d be the first Doctor I’d use in a Fenric arc.

Set it before The Time War, but make it clear that The Doctor knows he’s fated to fight, and as Fenric knows he’s fated to lose his own battle, that could lead to some great interactions.

Then complete the arc with the newest Doctor, so we get a Multi-Doctor story out of it too.

2 Likes

My biggest gripe with 80’s Who is how many characters are given intense backstories and arcs they set up, but either never use or don’t even realize they have then around to use them. (Can anyone sense my dislike of Root & Saward? lol)

Thank goodness for Big Finish for the 80’s crews. And the new 9 adventures, check those out!!!

2 Likes

My favourite fan-post I ever read years back was someone taking every action Nyssa was lazily thrown to do by the writers in Season 19, and figuring out how to turn all that into an off-screen revenge plot againt the Master for absorbing Tremas, culminating in Time-Flight.

1 Like

I think most of the New Adventures period are available now too, they’re excellent (but very 1990’s "this isn’t your dad’s Doctor Who) stories.

I think they’re the reason I imprinted so hard on 7 and Ace, they lived mostly in my imagination the longest!

1 Like

I can’t find it so pretend I posted a GIF of Sarah Jane nearly falling to her death down an extremely gentle hill from The Five Doctors.

2 Likes

Carreg Y Foel Gron yn beryglus iawn ar unrhyw ongl!

1 Like