What are some creative ways to get your friends and family into MST3K?

I have had the hardest time finding friends and family of mine who I can fanboi about having tickets to my first MST3K Live event. Which drove me to these forums.

I am planning to entice my friends to watch MST3K with me by having a “drive in” night, where I invite friends over and project a MST3K episode/movie to a screen and provide popcorn and drinks.

What are some ways you have grown fanbase?

2 Likes

By forcing it on them… but really most of my friends don’t “get it”…

3 Likes

I’m lucky to have my sister who also loves Mst3k. Other than that I think the best way is probably to bribe people with food. Get them over late at night (mst3k is even more fun when you haven’t slept) and keep watching until they are addicted. If that doesn’t work then you still have all of us.

4 Likes

During the first Kickstarter campaign, I hyped up MST3K so hard on Facebook by asking friends to recommend their favorite films/genres, and I would recommend episodes based on that. If they were fans of Star Wars, I’d recommend Space Mutiny, the Fugitive Alien films, and possibly Laserblast. If they were into slasher films, Teen-Age Strangler and Horror at Party Beach. I loved finding creative ways to recommend MST3K episodes based on their interests.

4 Likes

Yes, I find the best way is with some chloroform, a tennis ball, and some clear tubing.

Works every time.

9 Likes

I play it at work on the TV my entire shift. Most people don’t pay it any attention, but when I play something else, I suddenly get asked where the MST3k is. :laughing:

2 Likes

You still have us!

6 Likes

How does the tennis ball :tennis: figure in? :grin:

1 Like

:rofl::heart:

2 Likes

It’s a distraction. You throw it and they are like huh? What was that! Then chloroform!!!

4 Likes

Inexpensive ball gag.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Well, there are those straps that you can’t chew through in under two hours…

2 Likes

I find that knocking folks out with a large hammer, strapping them into a rocket, and then imprisoning them on a satellite in space works really well.

The only catch is that “I should really just relax” doesn’t work as well in real life as one might hope…

3 Likes