What are some of your favorite 'We dodged a real bullet with that one' moments where a different choice could have made an already bad movie much worse?

For Instance, I just read on Wikpedia (so take it with a grain of salt) that Tommy ‘The Room’ Wiseau wanted to direct the sequel to the 2015 Fantastic Four movie…

We dodged a real bullet there, I’d say

Dr Doom: “Oh Hai richards!”

A.J. “A Jerk” (the The Creeping Terror guy) getting to direct… well, anything more, really.

1 Like

Can we include dodged bullets that would have made a good/OK movie into a bad one?

George Lucas wanted American Graffiti to be the entire night in real time. Like, 6 or 8 hours.

Peter Jackson wanted a climactic scene in The Return of the King where Aragorn would fight Sauron hand-to-hand outside the Black Gate of Mordor.

In Return of the Jedi, Lucas (again) wanted Vader to yell “NOOOOO” as he pulled the Emperor off his son, like a character in a lame Saturday morning cartoon.

Oh, wait. He went back and did that one after he got big enough that nobody could say no to him.

5 Likes

Joss Whedon doing Wonder Woman. Enough said.

6 Likes

Yes sure, I was originally going to include that anyway

Also didn’t Lucas hate when Harrison Ford improv’d the “I know” line?

1 Like

Don’t you mean, nobody could say “NOOOOOOOOO!” to him?

1 Like

Star Trek Applause GIF

3 Likes

I think Shirley Temple in The Wizard Of Oz would’ve rendered the film unwatchable. Because even as a little kid myself, I couldn’t stand Shirley Temple.

2 Likes

lisa simpson episode 20 GIF

I liked Little Vicki better.
Tappa - Tappa - Tappa

3 Likes

We really dodged a bullet with The Hobbit, the studio wanted to stretch that thing to 3 movies!

(Please let me live in this denial)

3 Likes

Oh wow, thanks for reminding me about that mess!

They shot the scene, a lot of footage got recycled into the film’s climatic fight against The troll and The Mouth.

So it wasn’t wasted film!