What are you cooking?

Tonight: ribs (going in the smoker now), fries, steamed broccoli

Edit: Dinner time!

6 Likes

Oooh, may I inquire as to the spice rub on the ribs?

2 Likes

Is “whatever’s in the spice cabinet when I make it” an acceptable answer? :smiley:

The base is 3:1 dark brown sugar to kosher salt, plus however much black pepper and granulated garlic tastes right at the time. I always try to include coriander seed, paprika, ground New Mex chiles, cumin, maybe some dried mustard, a little onion powder … the kitchen sink. I make it in big batches and then use it on everything from shoulders to brisket to salmon.

2 Likes

Dude! I use the same recipe book!

4 Likes

Pasta (Mafalda corta) with smoked oysters, lemon, dill and garlic. Finished with grated Parmesan on top. Very nice - I’ll be doing that again.

2 Likes

Well, there’s a problem. The crackers are fine, and the meat is meant not for the dog.

But, how does one fold the meat to fit the crackers?

It’s very puzzling.

1 Like

I don’t know.

I suspect eating of an opened package of “Sliced Hard Salami” that has been sitting in a car at over 80°F for a number of hours, may not be good.

But, it is supposedly a preserved, cured meat. Meh, laisse-ça vivre et bien.

2 Likes

Work is slow, needed some Italian bread for dinner, had a recipe I’ve been meaning to try.

3 Likes

This evening’s meal was carbonara-filled gnocchi, fried up with chunks of saucisson sec, garlic, sage and chicken livers, finished with a dash of vermouth and some microplaned Parmesan. Not bad.
But then I remembered I had some black garlic I was planning to add to the mix. Ah well, next time!

4 Likes

I don’t have a picture, because of reasons, but on taking out some naan bread with olive oil, garlic, and cheese from the oven just now, I had the good sense to say “Golldarn, motherbuster, cheese, sheep, motherbuster, that’s motherbuster hot, motherbuster sheep, golldarn.”

It’ll probably taste fine, though. Once the wounds close on my fingertips. Adequate.

4 Likes

Remember…

2 Likes

Mediterranean sweet potatoes with roasted chickpeas, a homemade garlic herb sauce, and tomatoes / parsley from our own container garden.

Quite tasty!

5 Likes

Some smaller naan rounds, olive oil, granulated garlic, and some powdered “parmesan” cheese. Put in a medium oven for a few minutes. Handle with care, because hot oil is not that good on bare fingers.

And some Steel Reserve 211. Of course! Hello! Thank you! Hello!

It remains to be seen if I gave myself food poisoning by eating some dodgy luncheon meats on pita bread earlier today.

Like the man said jumping from a building? So far, so good!

2 Likes

Chocolate chip cookies. I get requests for them every month or two.

First batch in the oven; always a test run to see how they’ll come out. It’s been super humid here today, so they may come out flatter and crunchier than usual.

3 Likes

Yeah, they spread out good. And even right out of the oven, they’re already hardening a tad at the edges. So smaller scoops on the next batch!

4 Likes

Does cooking in a video game count? Been doing that way more than real cooking since the last chapter of Raft came out.

Here’s some puffer fish head soup:

1 Like

1in thick pork chops!
Bought a dozen for $12 on sale…
Freshly cut by the butcher too with scalloped potatoes :yum:

3 Likes

Actually, you don’t want to know.

A 1lb chub of Jimmy Dean fried in a 2qt sauce pan, braised with some water after browning, picked up with a 5" utility knife onto a piece of cardboard and dripping grease all the way to my desk.

It’s a wonder I’m so popular with the ladies.

2 Likes

Another bit of cultural confusion this evening, as I served stuffed baby squid in an ink, tomato and wine sauce, with egg fried rice and char siu pork.
As an exercise in globetrotting surf’n’turf, it worked pretty well. Maybe I’ll add some XO sauce next time, for a spicier edge, or kicap manis for a more mellow result.

4 Likes

Sounds decadent and I’m here for it. Invite me next time and I’ll contribute my native beer and donuts :us:

3 Likes