What are you cooking?

They do!

I’ve been wanting to try to make English muffins :+1: Hope they turn out great!

3 Likes

English muffins are done, not quite the right texture inside but they taste like good english muffins. So it looks like I’ll be buying more greek yogurt in the future…

Next time I’ll roll them out thinner so they don’t get so thick, and make the dough a little wetter, that should make more air pockets inside.

8 Likes

Tonight’s dinner, mostly made by me (with some guidance from the wife)

5 Likes

Sourdough makes good English muffins.

3 Likes

Pizza turned out great!

One roasted red pepper marinara, one roasted garlic Alfredo w/ pieces of fresh mozzarella mixed in with the shredded cheese.

Hot Italian sausage and caramelized sweet onions on both.

And, yes, even though it’s supposed to be a convection oven, that marinara sauce pizza that was on top has a bit more brown to the cheese… the additional fresh mozzarella on the white pizza may also be affecting the browning? As long as it tastes good, I’m not worried about it.

8 Likes

Probably lack of radiant heat from the pan above is why there was less browning. The hot walls of the oven do contribute to some of the browning.

I use a pizza stone and preheat it up to 500 for 20 or 30 minutes, put the pizza in and drop the temperature to 450, then in the last minute or 2 turn on the broiler to add extra browning if it hasn’t happened by then.

3 Likes

Yeah, probably. Crust was plenty done and the cheese was nice and melty so, didn’t move it to the top when I pulled the other pizza out. Would rather it look a little under brown and taste great, than have a crust that was too done and taste more burned toast than hot pizza.

Have considered getting two stones and preheating longer, but this time of year, preheating the oven an extra 30 min means making the AC work even harder to keep the place remotely comfortable. Now, December/January, even here in NWFL, preheat that oven with two stones for maybe an hour…

1 Like

Marinating for tomorrow night’s dinner: Santa Fe style carne adovada

8 Likes

First attempt at making pizza rolls seems to be a resounding success! I had to test the dough made with my sourdough starter before making big ol’ pizzas tonight! :tada::pizza:

7 Likes

:drooling_face:

Looks like they turned out great!

3 Likes

They were superb! I’ve got a few ideas for improving them next time around, but I’m pleased as punch that my pizza dough came out so well. :smiley:

4 Likes

Uh, that’s clearly an upper-case “G” forming on the left.

Do a get a complimentary Splunky™ if I order the 12-pack?

3 Likes

Post pandemic, we’re having a community viewing at my house and I’m making us all G-style pizza rolls.

2 Likes

Been craving peanut butter cookies for about a week so I made some last night.

First time making them, didn’t want to use so much butter so mixed in olive oil, and made a small batch so hard to get all the measurements right. But they came out pretty good, craving is gone.

4 Likes

If you slice a leftover grilled pork chop thinly and then air fry it at a low temperature, it crisps up in a pleasantly bacon-like way.

If you’re like me (and I know I am), you can then serve it over cheddar-chive grits with tomatoes and refrigerator pickles.

5 Likes

Made a lil sammich.

7 Likes

Beef Rendang and flatbread tonight. Enough made to refrigerate and re-heat on Monday.

Scallop, king prawn & chorizo pie tomorrow.

Plus I just bought some woodpigeon breasts, so I’m thinking of improvising a dish with them, figs and a madeira/sherry vinegar/bramble/liquorice sauce, with frites and pea-shoot salad on the side, for later this week.

2 Likes

After watching this video I really would like to try and make this, but 15 minutes of searching online and pretty much none of the mushrooms he uses are available within a half hour drive, so I guess I’m not going to try this. I could probably find them in Chinatown in Philly but I’m not spending a day searching for mushrooms. I think this is the first vegan recipe I’ve seen that I would want to make. Had to look up the vegan sour cream substitute he uses, figured it would be soy based but it’s not, all the ones I’ve seen are cashew based.

4 Likes

You may be able to order dried exotic mushrooms and then reconstitute them for risotto (the mushroom stock you create can then also end up in the risotto). A few of those should add a lot of extra flavor to the basic white supermarket buttons.

3 Likes

Yes, a mix of some dried exotic varieties and the regular white/chestnut/oyster/shiitake ones you can get in the supermarket will give a good flavour.
Not being vegan, I can’t even begin to advise on cream substitutes, but you don’t really need cream for a mushroom risotto to be delicious. But you would need a properly piquant substitute for parmesan or pecorino to finish the dish.
Sadly, the Vegan Black Metal Chef has not yet published a risotto recipe.

3 Likes