What are you cooking?

20230305_165939

I whipped up matzoh ball soup with carrots, rice and spices! Yummy!!

4 Likes

It’s very rare I’ll drink a Jameson anything (although their Caskmates series are potable, IIRC), but I felt like a light beverage after a day at work, having an eye exam, and visiting my sister in the same hospital.

It’s only 60 proof!

It’s a diet whiskey!

I’ve had it once before…it’s actually not bad for kind of just something to drink. Almost grabbed the same low-proof one but in Orange flavor, but carrying the orange label up to the register, it just felt…wrong. Garish. Outlandish. Somehow. So swapped it for the ridiculously-named “Cold Brew” variant. Orange would have been great, probably better, even, but I felt ridiculous enough buying this, let alone carrying a brightly colored bottle up to the register!

1 Like

No pictures, but I made steak/broccoli/carrots in an oyster sauce and it was pretty great. Served over rice with prawn crackers.

5 Likes

Been in the mood for pretzels made with lye for several weeks, finally got around to making them.

Think the last time I did was last summer.

Kind of made up my own recipe for the dough this time, added some malted milk powder and sugar, and about 3 tablespoons of melted butter. Put plenty of salt in the dough so didn’t put any on the outside.

A little golden brown mustard on them and they were real tasty.

11 Likes

They look fantastic!

3 Likes

Tiny upgrade: trying out a new pizza sauce recipe this evening.

9 Likes

And you will be sharing that recipe, won’t you?

WON’T YOU??

4 Likes

Eh? Pizza!

Forget sharing the recipe…share the pizza!

We’re all on our way! ROAD TRIP!

5 Likes

Company’s coming? I’d better start picking up around here.

I’ll report back on the pizza sauce. It’s essentially this one—which isn’t really “NY style” but his recipes have never led me wrong—minus a couple of ingredients I didn’t have on-hand.

7 Likes

Oh dear… this is close enough to “I’ll be over as soon as I clean up a little” that I’m afraid the judges have informed me that you’re Probably Not A Beatnik.

And let’s not forget who on this board is within actual driving distance of your house. :drooling_face:

5 Likes

I am every bit the beatnik that Joel’s mom is/was, thank you very much.

3 Likes

Lots of us are within driving distance of his house, it is just a matter of drive time.

5 Likes

The most involved cooking I’ve done recently was on Sunday. I rinsed and trimmed two large scallions: removing the more fibrous green parts and most of the white bulb end, too. Cut 'em in thirds. Chopped 'em fine as I could in the food processor, then threw in a block of cream cheese and chopped/mixed a bit more, to make mock-chive cheese for the morning (serviceable if not fantastic) everything bagel.

Honestly, it was great. Especially a day later after the onions had mellowed a bit.

Gotta’ remember to plant chives in late spring. The old ones I had in a little terracotta pot back there for years are just a memory now.

3 Likes

Hmmm, butter in pizza sauce? Never heard of that before, might have to try it next time I make pizza.

3 Likes

“Butter never hurt anyone.” - Julia Child

5 Likes

Happy Pi Day! (Walnut Chocolate Chip Pie!)

10 Likes

This is the first time I made pretzels and didn’t eat all of them the first day.

Hard to say if fresh or day old is better, they are different kinds of tasty goodness.

Made lemon bars Monday night, those are certainly better after a night in the fridge. The pan I had been using for a few years started having the non-stick coating flake off, so got a corningware ceramic pan the same size, I’ll have to adjust the baking times slightly longer to account for how much slower the ceramic heats up. I should get an enamel pan but cheapest I’ve seen is $40 for an 8x8 inch pan. Got to take a drive out to the outlet malls near Lancaster, there are some good kitchen stores there I could probably find one cheaper.

6 Likes

I had the same trouble with stonewear baking pans. I felt it was hard to get the bake right since the pan took so long to get up to temp. The exposed parts of the food cook too much before the parts touching the pan get going.

2 Likes

Tonight: what’s known in my house as “the usual”—not because we eat it often (pretty rarely, really) but because it’s my wife’s favorite meal and that just became shorthand for it after a number of years.

Tomorrow: pizza, because leftover sautéed mushrooms.

7 Likes

I’ve used both Corningware and Pyrex pans. Haven’t found this to be an issue. Maybe I just like more crust on the outside of my baked goods than others. I always thought it was the color of the 'ware more than the material that was influential. Light or clear colors would heat slower than dark colors.

1 Like