What are you cooking?

I do sourdough bread, made by hand. Sourdough is very forgiving since it works more slowly.

1 Like

That’s a big “it depends”. Are you trying to make a sandwich loaf or free-form? A quick bread or something needing a rise? I don’t have a bread machine, so I make everything by hand.

If you’re looking for an easy beginner free-form loaf, you can search for 5-minute no knead artisan bread recipes. Those are pretty forgiving. I personally use a loaf pan to make quick bread that I use for toast consisting primarily from sourdough starter discard. The King Arthur Flour Company website has a lot of good recipes and technique advice. Just be aware that if you omit the salt, it’s going to be bland unless you add another herb or spice to pep it up.

3 Likes

Beef skirt, echalion shallot and carrot casserole with a cream sauce, served with rice and peas.
I have only used my new rice cooker a couple of times, and the result still comes out a bit claggy, but it loosens up with some sauce. I’ll get the hang of it in time.

1 Like

Since around 2005 when all the companies started putting soy into their bread I’ve been using a bread machine.

I had one machine that died after just a few years, but then got a Breadman machine and have many hundreds of loaves with it in the last 15 years.

There seem to be many clones of my machine now so I guess a patent ran out or something. I see a bunch of them that look exactly like this:

Besides taste the job of the salt in bread is to moderate yeast growth, and since a bread machine has fixed times it will probably take some trial and error to get the amount of yeast correct to avoid the loaf rising too much.

I make pretty much the same 2lb loaf every time:

1.5 cups water (1.25 cups to start and add the rest as needed after the machine has been running for 5 minutes, just enough to get a good smooth dough)
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons powdered milk
exactly 1.25 teaspoons salt
4 cups of bread flour
exactly 2 teaspoons Saf Instant yeast

Machine takes about 3 hours to make the loaf.

4 Likes

Thanks for the response’s folks, I appreciate it.

I have a salt substitute; I wonder if it would do the same job as reg salt and moderate the yeast growth? I’ve also seen seduced (ha, typo, meant “reduced”, but I’m keeping it there because it made me laugh) sodium recipes, and I could try those as well, anything to bring it down.

(I found some reduced sodium pita pockets, at 50 mgs, and that did the job. I was surprised by how much of that is in breads and crusts, even pancake mix, wow, I had to buy a special brand because the regular was just too high - 477 for a dry mix, 2 pancakes, I got it down to 135 mgs. Anything that helps keep me from going over the daily limit is a blessing)

1 Like

While looking up low salt bread recipes I noticed a lot of them say to use the low salt cycle on the bread machine.

So apparently that is a thing some machines have.

The recipes I looked at just use no salt and reduce the yeast from 2 teaspoons to 1.25 teaspoons. On of them did mention that powdered milk has a tiny amount of salt, so it’s not completely salt free.

2 Likes

Made homemade pizza for family last night and making Patzki today.

Patzki dough is on the first of two risings.

:+1:

9 Likes

The Italian bread my mom makes only uses one 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

Unless you’re eating the whole loaf in one sitting*, I’d think that would fall under a low sodium definition?

Can send you the recipe if you like?

*a friend visited from Italy. He arrived and my mom offered him some bread. (It was a little past lunchtime) and he finished the entire loaf! My mom rushed to make another so there’d be bread for dinner! I guess he liked it.

3 Likes

If it was started after lunch and done for dinner that’s pretty fast for Italian bread. I don’t make it often because with all the salt you normally add it takes like 8 hours.

1 Like

The Patzki dough is rising very quickly? Usually takes 60-90 minutes to double, checked at 60, and was more than double.

Punched down and checking at 30 for the second raising.

:thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, this recipe takes about 2.5hrs?

Her homemade cinnamon bread takes closer to 6.5hrs.

2 Likes

Chili.

Cheddar biscuits to follow!

6 Likes

Yup, this dough is very happy and was ready to roll out and cut after only 35 minutes!

Making small water glass size rounds, rather than large tuna can size.

Makes for more work frying and filling but it’s fun to have a small light treat.

5 Likes

1, Disrobe a couple of sausages - in this case, pork, parmesan & truffle.
2. Break the minced meat into pieces and fry it with shallots, smoked tomato puree, balsamic vinegar, thyme, flat leaf parsley, sea salt & white pepper.
3. Stuff the meat into paccheri (aka schiaffoni) pasta and stack vertically (see picture below) in a pie dish.
4. Smother with bechamel sauce, dust with smoked paprika and bake. Very rich, very good.

5 Likes

Patzki are fried and cooling on the rack!

Will fill them and dust w/ powdered sugar after supper.

6 Likes

Perfect!

5 Likes

My little Chicagoan heart is so happy to see paczki. :heartpulse:

3 Likes

One of my local supermarkets was selling boxes of paczki; they looked like frosted donuts and they looked tasty. I may have to grab a few.

2 Likes

In that case they probably were jelly-filled doughnuts that they are calling paczki. Pazcki have a different texture from what we’d think of as a doughnut, they are smaller, and they are sprinkled with powdered sugar, not glazed.

My friend with the home kitchen delivered ours today. A dozen little balls of heaven (raspberry, lemon, chocolate, and custard)

3 Likes

Salt does do things to the dough chemistry, so it kinda makes sense that you might need to handle it differently if you’ve omitted salt.

1 Like