What are you cooking?

Yep.

1 Like

Part of today’s shopping - salsiccie, carrots and tomatoes suggest there’s a tasty casserole in my very near future.

5 Likes

Mid Century Menu on Facebook has some gross recipes (which I shared over in regrettable foods) but has some good ones too. I want to see about making this over the weekend.

2 Likes

IMHO banana might be better than orange, but maybe not. i hope you’re getting animal crackers for garnish!

1 Like

I’m late to this. My month has been horrid and things are just now starting to calm down. Today was the first day I’ve felt almost normal in the last three weeks.

I’m far from expert on making bread, but I do have a breadmaker and have been using it regularly since I got it for Christmas.

I have a Cuisinart Bread Machine and it’s really easy to use. This is the one I have: Compact Automatic Bread Maker - Preferred By Chefs - Cuisinart.com

I’m still experimenting and I’ve found that I can add some wheat flour to the white bread recipe and it turns out all right, but if I add too much, the bread tends to fall on the last rise. It also can be a bit dry (still working on that bit), but the flavor is good and I like the results overall.

The thing I like about the machine is that I can set it going and I don’t have to do anything else. By hand, you do have to manage all the kneading and pay attention to the rise which means you have to have a lot of time available. I just often don’t and that makes the breadmaker ideal.

The Cuisinart also has a recipe booklet that comes with it so you have recipes that are meant to be used with that machine. I’ve done three of them so far and I’d like to do some where the machine makes the dough and then you bake it yourself in the oven.

6 Likes

Yesterday, I made an easy bolognese (which made oodles so leftovers!) and this evening I made double chocolate chip cookies. Yummy overall.

5 Likes

I make a fruit dip with cream cheese, OJ, and orange zest. It’s a really good flavor combo.

2 Likes

I was so focused on the recipe discussion, that I forgot to add anything about this until I saw TeriG’s post.

Have a KitchenAid stand mixer that I use for most everything, including the pizza dough (all my biscuits are entirely by hand, the Patzki too)…

I actually prefer taking the time to kneed by hand, especially when trying a new recipe. But, after I feel I have it dialed in, the KichenAid Stand Mixer makes mixing the ingredients and kneading exceptionally faster. (Need a dough hook attachment for this)

Learning curve? Probably the hardest thing for me was getting the water to dissolve and proof the yeast (and the rest that you add to the dry ingredients) just the right temperature? Too cold and it will take much longer to rise, too hot, and you’ll kill the yeast and it won’t rise at all. 100f is good. And, yes, even if a recipe doesn’t call for proofing the yeast, I still do. Take 1/4 cup of whatever amount of water the recipe calls for to dissolve and proof the yeast with ~1/4-1/2 teaspoon sugar. As soon as it looks happy/bubbly add it to the dry ingredients, mix a bit, then add the rest of the warm water.

1 Like

If I turn on the light in my oven after a little while it warms up to about 100°F in there, that’s what I always use for rising. No drafts, good temperature, works great.

I can only hand knead for a few minutes these days or the tendons in my wrists start screaming. So the KitchenAid with dough hook does all the heavy work if I’m not using the bread machine.

2 Likes

On a recent episode of The Great Pottery Throwdown, the Irish host and an Irish contestant started talking about champ. I’d never heard of it, but my people are Irish and I’m game for anything potato-forward.

I whipped up some fast lamb meatballs and red wine gravy to give it a proper showcase, and I must say, it lives up to the name.

6 Likes

Working on my ‘Moe’s Tavern’ pickled egg jar

8 Likes

A friend and I had an idea for a layered casserole-thing involving tater tots, burger, mac and cheese, and smiley fries. Never made anything like it, but if I can get the ingredients, we may be able to make it tonight! Anyone got tips on how to make layered-casserole things involving half frozen ingredients and half pre-cooked warm ingredients?

3 Likes

My kids used to love stuff like this. If I were making it, I’d pre-cook all the ingredients, assemble, then bake in a hot (425+) oven just long enough to melt the cheese and get that lasagna-like cheese top.

By pre-cooking everything, you eliminate most of the variables that could go wrong. It may take a little longer, but you wont have to worry about soggy half-frozen tater tots and fries.

3 Likes

Champ, clapshot, bubble & squeak, Colcannon, rumbledethumps and many other variations of mashed/crushed potato with other vegetables mixed in are, like most traditional poverty foods, great when done well, and wretchedly dull when done badly.

2 Likes

Smoking is cooking, right?

Possibly the last day to smoke cheese - warm days are ahead.

Pepper Jack, 3 year cheddar, and Gouda.

7 Likes

Agreed. I have a whole book of hot dish recipes and 90% of them are fully cooked before they go in the oven. But I do have one where everything’s cooked except the frozen tater tots, which go on the very top, and then it’s baked long enough to cook the tots. Then you throw some cheese on and bake a few minutes more to melt the cheese.

3 Likes

Pork chop, with a mixture of smoky beans, morel mushrooms and cream cheese. It’s an ad-hoc experiment. As my late aunt used to say with a defiant expression when serving up a meal, “all the ingredients are edible.”
She was actually a good cook, but not a confident one.

2 Likes

Double taters? What time should I come over?

4 Likes

Thanks y’all!! Success! Mildly concerning yet completely delicious food here. Must try again in the future.

8 Likes

The pork chop/beans/mushrooms/cream cheese mix worked quite well. I mixed up some plain yoghurt with mint and lemon zest as a dip on the side, which lightened everything.

2 Likes