What are you hate watching right now?

Currently I am watching Walking Dead after having noped out because the governor stuff went on too long. Nope, it did not get better. I am going to finish it even if it kills me though. Apparently I enjoy DEEP HURTING.

6 Likes

You’re a braver soul than me. I tapped out around the time of the Governor.

I don’t know if you could call it hate-watching, but I’m on Season 15 of Murdoch Mysteries (think of it as CSI: Early 1900s Toronto).

Some of it is genuinely entertaining. Some of it is laughably, wholeheartedly ridiculous.

3 Likes

It’s pretty terrible but in a way where I laugh. I also really love Lennie James though. He made Jericho a much better series than it had a right to be.

2 Likes

Lennie James should never have to pay for another drink ever again for all that he did to make Jericho compelling.

That he was heavily featured in the Season 1 promotional spots for The Walking Dead had me think, “LET’S GO!”

2 Likes

He is just one of those actors I will watch in pretty much anything. Michael Shannon is another.

2 Likes

YES. Loved him in Take Shelter.

2 Likes

I spent the entire Governor evolving into a hate-watcher, suffered through the Negan arc hoping it would pay off, and don’t think I’ve really given the show a thought since the second that season finale ended.

Enjoyed seasons 1 & 2, though.

2 Likes

I’ve never watched anything I hated (at least not when I had a choice). I don’t understand that. Can you explain the reason for watching something you don’t enjoy?

4 Likes

Negan drives me up the wall!!

2 Likes

In my case, it’s not that I didn’t/don’t enjoy Murdoch Mysteries. I dunno, I guess that it’s just fun to have something to joke about, to laugh at, to bust on… or even to riff!

2 Likes

Frequently it’s unintentionally hilarious. That’s pretty much my reason. Then I can bond with likeminded people picking it apart.

3 Likes

Exactly.

2 Likes

There are various reasons. For TWD, the premise and ensemble were strong and it started off well. When things went sideways I wanted it to get better and kept holding out hope. That it never paid off is where the “hate” tag came in.

Another variation was hate-watching Nashville. I lived there, I worked in the industry, I knew the locations … a lot of us used to watch just to go “that is so not [wherever they claimed to be]” or “that could not be farther from how that actually happens.”

3 Likes

It was kinda like the rationale for (some of) the website Television Without Pity, if you remember that.

The shows they covered had things that you could unironically enjoy (the high points of Breaking Bad being one such example)… and then there were the dumb-as-hell things you had to hilariously take to task when they showed up.

I’m lookin’ at YOU, Season 8 of Dexter.

4 Likes

Dexter is another one I loved early and ended up dropping like a hot rock.

2 Likes

It never really recovered in the post-Lithgow days.

2 Likes

There was too much Governor, and Negan. I just wanted them to travel around discovering why there was zombies like season one. But they kept putting down roots and getting overrun by bad guys over and over. Lots of sieges and hanging out. Z Nation had proper zombie show mystery solving nomading.

5 Likes

Life’s too short to hate watch.

6 Likes

I enjoyed survivors vs. the horde. Survivors vs. survivors sucked.

2 Likes

Ha! I remember Television Without Pity well! I spent a lot of time in those forums.

Also, tell me you watched Dexter without telling me you watched Dexter? Lumberjack. Grrrrrrrrr. The reboot sadly didn’t help.

2 Likes