What are you listening to right now?

So many times I see the “What are you watching right now” topic come up and I’m not watching anything, I’m listening to something.

So, what are you listening to? Could be anything - music, a radio show, podcast, audiobook?

I’ll start with something most people will find boring - the '40s Radio station on Pandora. The brief wave of big band popularity in the '90s got me interested in swing music, and it’s become what I listen to more than anything else.

9 Likes

:rotating_light: Nerd Alert :rotating_light:

I’m currently listening to David Blight’s Yale lectures on the Civil War and Reconstruction

4 Likes

Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?

2 Likes

Rocket Club. They’re a Minnesota country band who were active for several years but broke up in 2014. Last Friday they released their first new song since the breakup. I was a regular at their shows so I’ve had this new song on repeat most evenings over the last week, learning the words and enjoying their return, even if it’s only for one song.

Between this and the Gizmoplex launching next month, 2022 is off to a pretty good start for me.

3 Likes

Eh. Jazz went to hell when they added the swing. The bands got too big, I tells ya!

(My daughter and I actually debate this point. I’m pre-WWII, she’s WWII+.)

1 Like

There’s a radio station in Atherton, CA - KCEA. They have an online feed, and they call themselves a big band station, but they most often play what I would call hot jazz from the '30s - stuff from right before the bands got really big. You might like it.

1 Like

Some like it hot.

'tis my jam. click

Now playing on kcea

Mildred Bailey & Red Norvo - I’m Glad There Is You [1945]

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Now playing on kcea

The Rhythmic Eight (GB) - Because My Baby Don’t Mean Maybe Now [1928]

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Tinnitus.

7 Likes

Earlier, I’m slightly embarrassed to say I was rediscovering the 90s boy bands and I was listening/watching “Bye, Bye, Bye” and “It’s Gonna Be Me”.

However, right now, I’m listening to Billy Joel’s An Innocent Man album which has a number of my favorites.

4 Likes

Some broadcast from an episode of Casey Kasem’s AT40 on iheartradio that’s some week from fall of 1986. This song is playing at number 6 moving up 3 from 9. RIP both of you.

6 Likes

Well, well, well! Look what got played a few songs later for the 1986 chart! :laughing:

7 Likes

Oh, those girls would be so pretty if they just smiled once in a while, you know? And maybe if they practices their instruments more.

3 Likes

They should wear some gold boots, perhaps?

1 Like

New Amorphis album Halo.

2 Likes

The bathroom vent fan whisking smoke out of my apartment. I feel a little like a college freshman. Come to think of it, I should probably put rolled-up wet towel under the door and light some incense.

2 Likes

A-U-T-O-matic (Live at the Masonic in Detroit,MI 11/30/82)

Some dude in Agent for HARM.

Earlier this morning, we lost our brother’s 16-y.o. Yorkie-ShihTzu after a sudden tragedy. For the last couple of years, my son and I have had Molly in our care because my 76-y.o. brother has mobility issues and she became a fall risk. We were visiting him last evening and she was up in his lap and poor Molly took a tumble off of him, landing on her left hip. We returned immediately to our house to figure out what to do and decided to keep a close eye on her.
She wouldn’t drink or eat and was panting loudly through the night and as much as I tried to get her to drink one thing after another, she simply wasn’t having any of it. So, when our vet opened, we got her in to be seen immediately. The vet felt all around on her little body and hip/leg area and found the leg to be fine to the touch but, unfortunately, she found a large mass in Molly’s abdomen, and suggested X-rays.
To do so, they needed to sedate her and once sedated, took the X-rays and returned to us with the worst news: not only was the mass growing at such a rate that it was pushing her other organs out of position and the fall had ruptured, which emptied into her cavity. The only recourse was to further sedate her so she could be moved to be opened up and operated on; however, because of her age, she probably would only last another 4+ months. So, collectively (talking to my niece, who spoke with her dad and her brother), we decided to run across the Rainbow Bridge to be cured of her sudden fall and ensuing issues.

So, I am listening to Aurora Borealis’ album entitled GOODBYE, a Post-Rock masterpiece from the Belgian studios of Dèhá.

See you over the Rainbow Bridge, Sweet Molly…you will be greatly missed by so many! We’ll all see you there when our times come, too! :purple_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart:

6 Likes

I’ve plunged down a New Order rabbit hole. I’ve had a singles compilation for years but never explored any “proper” albums or live stuff before.

3 Likes

To help me unwind after the day, I always put on some ambient/space music at night. I have quite a wide selection of it. I really only sleep well when I don’t get enough sleep so I’m constantly working on a bit of a sleep deficit, but since I’m always stressed out by something, having this kind of music with no words and not much of a melody is a nice way to calm my mind down.

Tonight, I’m listening to space music by Jonn Serrie. The album is called The Planetary Chronicles and the current song is “Mystery Road”.

2 Likes

Ob:

4 Likes