What are you listening to right now?

Yeah. Actually, I like playing this tune. Or I used to…haven’t done it in a few years, but pretty sure I can remember it. I’m sure I’ve heard Bill’s version a hundred times, but as how many thousands of times I played this record, it never jumped out me as one I needed to learn or even cop some techniques from.

I was wrong! Bill plays it like a bad mf.

But the way I learned it and play it is based off a Dr. Lonnie Hammond organ record…for some reason it’s not coming up on search and I’m not that motivated to scouring my CDs or my HDDs for that. Find it eventuallly, but whatevs.

Anyway, I do it in Ab, with sort of an E7#9 resolving to an Ab6 chord (I never thought about it, but it’s either a diminished chord resolving to the tonic, or just a very altered dominant->tonic thing). Trust me, it sounds fine, and I copied it from Dr. Lonnie, so it has that stamp of approval. Pretty sure everybody does it in Ab, anyway. Or they should. Easy key on piano/organ, anyway, especially for something like this.

I must say, Bill gets quite a few points from me on this one…it’s both creative and pianistic.

Oh, no, this isn’t the Dr. Lonnie record I learned the tune from, but it’ll do! Actually completely different performance and arrangement, both in the way Dr. Lonnie reharmed the B section where he takes the statement.

Hey, man, it’s jazz! It be different every time. But Dr. Lonnie’s way is the way I learned the tune and still play it. Obviously in the clip below he’s just fooling around, but it’s jazz…man can do whatever he darned well pleases and ain’t no judge say he wrong.

/* I take some of that back…Dr. Lonnie does bring some heat, along with that gorgeous tone and control of the bass…as with most anything, that fellow came to play and did not fail, even though it wasn’t the original Dr. Lonnie performance I learned the tune from.

I shouldn’t have said “bring some heat.” That bad mutha brought all everything out to play, but one shouldn’t be surprised. And now, a few flourishes and wipes up and down the manual are not what I’m talking about.

To my sensibility, everything I know about playing ballads on Hammond came from Dr. Lonnie and from Don Patterson…no disrespect to JOS or any other player, but those are the two guys I learned from off the record, specifically for a dead-slow standard ballad tune. Not a lot of fireworks…some, but just enough to wake people up. */

/* OK, here’s an example:

I had to come up with an original tune for my little Hammond organ trio a while ago, 'cause the bar didn’t pay BMI/ASCAP fees, so it’d be taking without asking or paying to just cover this one.

So, yeah, maybe you call that “stealing,” but I just “wrote” my own little melody over the same changes, in C concert as I recall, and, you know, instant tune. You know, the melody isn’t actually that important here, and the changes are just ordinary stuff anyone can ear over.

But I mostly stole Dr. Lonnie’s feel and style. The tune isn’t important. I’m pretty sure I wrote down a leadsheet for my little spin-off tune, not that my drummer or guitarist needed any of that.

Now, I wrote down contrafacts and recorded just regular little statements (have no idea on which HDD if any) just in case I needed to remember for my own convenience. No idea if I bothered to give this one a name or not.

This is how I remember Dr. Lonnie’s “Spring is Here”…a little closer to this tempo, and with him taking the melody and the Lonnie share of the solos.

Yeah, I know, fascinating, but that’s the truth. *

And, BTW, choke on this, bunch of honks.

And of course as digestif:

Hey! What’s with you people anyway? I not supposed to be the only one doing this, you know.

And, no, actually I will never click on some track of disco music or metal or whatever you people do,

/****** NEW for today!!!

No idea why…I was just thinking about how I’m sometimes confusing Bon Jovi with Diamond David Lee Roth and then had to get my head straight with this classic.

******/

This is one of those songs that I just have to listen to every so often.

@wyswysia :wink:

2 Likes

This keeps popping up in the car. Big John Patton on organ.

Lately most versions of this old standard have been kind of medium-up, whereas I learned the tune from Bluesiana Triangle, with Art Blakey singing, Mac Rebennack on piano, and Fathead on tenor.

But I like it this tempo…might starting playing it like that…just to fool around with, not like there aren’t a million other tunes already ahead of it.

Stone jam.

1 Like

The gnurliest wobbly-wheels shuffle almost but never quite falls apart. Lowell George and his slide grab the soul by the face and shred it. He was one of them spirit animals.

1 Like

In my younger years, I was quite the jazz fan and went to many concerts. I feel fortunate that I got to see/hear Joe Williams perform in person once. Probably a couple years after this clip from Johnny Carson’s Tonight Show. The man could sing! Listen to him hit and hold that last note.

1 Like

Joe Williams did an in-store with us at a record store where I worked.

2 Likes

Because it’s just so dang uplifting.

1 Like

In memory of Joe Flaherty.

3 Likes

F.Hero, feat. Bodyslam & Babymetal - Leave it all behind.
Unless you’re trilingual in English, Thai and Japanese, you should probably switch on the subtitles.

Chis’ Jazz Cafe’ still coming through, every day:

1 Like

Going through my Roxie Music collection

2 Likes
2 Likes

A remix from '92 that I’ve somehow never heard. The Meters and Lowell George are much more prominent in what was already a funkfest.

Had a '74 ex-Beatles kick this week. Started listening to Harry Nilsson’s P*ssy Cats (not allowed to use bad language) yesterday because it had been a while, the John & Ringo of it lead me to Walls and Bridges, then Goodnight Vienna, swung to McGear for Macca, rounded off today with Dark Horse and a Toot & a Snore. A mixed bag but fun.

2 Likes

Ukrainian Reggae hits hard!

1 Like

1 Like

Dolly Parton sings Tom Petty, with glorious results.

2 Likes