What are you listening to right now?

Just was playing on the car both these albums.

Potent stuff, and reveals some of the hidden strengths of both organists. Including styles neither are really associated with, like deep churchy music and so much more.

Just selected a random tune…really I listen to both of the Giants of the Organ albums invariably straight through.

/*

Oh, in case anyone was curious about how to play a regular blues and not sound like a fool nerd?

Yeah, that’s enough to get started.

I’d say that’s for after one has learned all the Ray Charles and Otis Spann off the records on piano.

But if you can’t cover bass and groove with a super simple jazz blues on organ, you shouldn’t be playing the instrument, IMHO. Get it down and then get down.
*/

1 Like

RIP Albini.
fight club GIF

2 Likes

A hurtful remark is what you get for (not) asking.

Melanie covering one of Woody Guthrie’s greats

1 Like

Dolby Atmos mix

2 Likes

I’m so excited three of my favorite artists are releasing this week and then my absolute favourite band has a new album out next month. AND so far I’ve found 4-5 new albums I absolutely adore. This has been a really good year of music for me.

2 Likes

/*Well I’ll be damned! Junior Mance all over this album, as well as this cut. One of my first big influences on acoustic piano. I don’t recognize his playing here on this cut…of course Aretha could play the lights out on piano, but bleed-through on the mic and all that.

Of course that’s Fathead on the tenor solo. They don’t say so, but it’s obviously him.

Queen of soul. */

Nuff said.

/* Actually, when she’s at the piano and singing…does one think her eyes keep darting to one spot, presumably in the audience or maybe the wings? Definitely does.

I don’t know if they had a video monitor, or it was her big daddy or manager or whatever at the time.

But she could play. She could also sing!

She was actually really good at the whole rolling octaves and chord walk downs in the RH. Better than even many people who call themselves piano players.

IMHO the standout is “Won’t Be Long”…the guitarist got a bit loud, and I think there’s some doubling of the ac. piano on there, but that girl was on fire.
*/

1 Like

No comment.

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes