What are you listening to right now?

Ray Bryant and his couple on “Eternal Triangle.”

Keep in mind Ray, a brilliant pianist, had to follow one of the epic tenor “battles” of all time, between two tenor saxophone players…it’s on a rhythm changes tune but the bridge is altered (in a fun way that is not too challenging at all).

After I write out Sonny Clark’s thing on Grant Green’s version of “Tune Up,” I think this should be the next one I write out using my new transcribing tools (tiny little battery keyboard and field recorder, so I am not glued to the piano…which is much faster, but I’m liking this setup…)

Celebrating the centennial of the birth of Mary Ford, one of the best girl “groups” in the biz!

1 Like

Hip Hop Dance GIF

1 Like

The Humpty Dance!

This is one of my favorite Blue Note tracks of all time

The new Mosaic box set has an additional take which I also love, but I think they picked the right one back in the day

1 Like

Since I was fixated a few days ago on Joe Sample and The Crusaders doing “Street Life,” I went back and reread his interview with Ben Sidran in Talkin Jazz…from which I noted something I’d never heard before.

A 1981 album called Swing Street Café.

Just doing some Ray, some things I learned from Dr. John (Bill Dogget’s “Honkey Tonk,” “Next Time U See Me”), and some good old regular tunes that everyone knows.

Apparently put youtube, with the blessing of the record company.

I’d imagine any pianist can play gutbucket or Chicago or “NOLA” (a tiny bit of the major R&B tunes and some of the feel at least, you know, the regional hits) at least a bit, not to mention the Ray stuff, but I never quite expected that out of Joe Sample.

Great album.

I don’t know how to link the playlist from here, but here’s the first tune from the playlist/album.

Nice that Joe isn’t just copying Ray’s parts exactly…he’s doing a few little things to it, while still it being the piano-driven tune.

“Does the star and writer of Cobra have any right to talk about dignity?”

2 Likes

OIP

Happy belated birthday Deborah Harry (79 on July 1st)

3 Likes

Some Casey Kasem show from early 87 on iHeartRadio
music video vintage GIF

1 Like

Yeah, it’s still using Booker’s own twist on the classic style, like a template almost, but it is a good way to play these kind of tunes to get maximum texture out of the piano.

1 Like

Yes, that’s Peter Bernstein taking the first solo (on guitar). While I remember writing out some of the really fast runs maybe ten or more years ago, it was only yesterday that I kept listening to this over and over in the car, both to the guitar solo, and to Dr. Lonnie’s solo.

Dr. Lonnie really builds up in such a nice slow way. And the pedal work is heavy but simple.

So this is on this list to write out, those two solos complete, and therefore I listen to it.

Dr. Lonnie also uses so much of the lower manual that it’s a good way to test if my little “stand” “system” can hold up to a lot of moving up to the upper quickly and so forth, without anything falling off.

Plus, you know the tune…obviously it’s not a blues, but since a kid I’ve always just thought of it as a blues-with-a-bridge. It isn’t, of course, but, same thing to me.

/* edit: oh, just now at home through the monitors…that is a gnarly, tiny bit of distortion when Lonnie is comping on the lower manual! I wonder how…he could have pushed the expression pedal all the way down and pushed in the drawbars, but nobody would do that…I dunno.

Not so much in the introduction/groove-setting part, but when he comps behind guitar’s solo (note it sounds cleaner even when guitar takes the bridge during the head).

Great sound. */

3 Likes

Used to play this a lot, but forgot how the melody of the tune went, so listening to again.

No, I still can’t improvise using that ragtime/stride bass…the LH’s no problem, that’s not even think about it, but coming up with stuff to play as melody.

By midnight, this will come off my list of “tunes to put back into active” thing.