What are you listening to right now?

Also just right for a January afternoon

1 Like

Thanks for this! Checking it out now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

AND IN THE EYES OF THE JACKYL I SAY KABOOM!

Pumpkin Smash GIF by Johnny Slicks

1 Like

I’ve been having this song on repeat for a few days now.

1 Like
4 Likes

Fittingly, I just finished part on of the Showtime documentary on Spector over the weekend.

My favorite of his singles. Underrated ballad from the guy Gorgo may crush. One of the first albums I owned.

3 Likes
3 Likes

A torch song classic which many a singer has covered, but none have surpassed this version.

1 Like

Reminding me that I need to watch Scott Pilgrim vs. The World again.

4 Likes

Rest well, David.

1 Like

I finally saw that for the first time recently. I loved it! Has one of my favorite Metric songs, Black Sheep, on the soundtrack:

The version with Brie Larson is in the movie:

3 Likes

New Metallica song dropped a couple hours ago

1 Like

Boner is a pretentious wanker. U2 in the their prime was awesome. Both can be true at the same time.

LittleUnawareBittern-max-1mb

1 Like

Christ, he was one of the coolest cats on the planet.

3 Likes

I made a meaningless pop culture reference so knock it off!

1 Like

I forgot how much I loved this album… can’t believe it’s a decade old!

1 Like
2 Likes

A handful of guitarist Barney Kessel’s albums from the 1950s. Almost an idiosyncratic but unabashed swinger.

Here’s an example.

2 Likes

A Dante’s Inferno-themed compilation.

1 Like

Had my steady diet of Barney Kessel for today, so I’m catching up with Pat Martino.

His version of my personal favorite of the Jobim bossas, “How Insensitive.” Yes, he plays a lot of notes, but it is not too many notes for me. I think it’s a rather balanced, sensitive version of a fantastic tune.

And just now, probably the first album I knowingly bought (on CD) with Pat Martino, having been a young Hammond organ acolyte. Little did I know Pat played on a number of Don Patterson albums I came to cherish.

I edit to bring my post current to now, but I prefer Pat’s earlier cut for its mellow vibe…also, it’s somewhat unpleasant to recall how early Joey D both dominated those sessions, as well as died so young. I don’t like to have to say “I saw him/her once before they died!” He was a mofo, of course, but this time around I’m listening more carefully to Pat’s guitar lines than previously.

And since I have all those Don Patterson albums on which Pat played, some on vinyl still, I’m looking forward to hearing those again with a different focus. I have pages and pages of transcriptions I did of Don Patterson lines and at least choruses, as well as of some of his originals somewhere on paper written in pencil, but I need to go back to the shed and check out the strings.

(EETA, by “strings,” I mean guitar strings…an allusion to Pat’s second [released] album as a leader called “Strings!” from 1967).

(EEETA and by “strings” I also mean the way, as Pat recounts in his autobiography, the way he “disciplined” his floppy picking hand, as a way of avoiding breaking strings, by going up in gauges. As a teenager I broke lots of strings playing 10s and 11s and using metal picks and violin bows and stuff, but now that I put the 14s in flatwound, with a wound G, on, it’s like butter. I think Pat ended up using 16s or something ridiculous, but I don’t even think you can buy those, but I still think thicker is better for those with an undisciplined picking hand, although for different reasons).

2 Likes