What are you listening to right now?

Yeah, I know, the album as a whole is questionably marketed, but it’s a great album, and this particular tune and performance is running the voodoo down on me now and lately.

Written by “that” Steve Allen, no less. It’s an OK tune, I guess, but Grant Green’s solo and statement of the head is really something special.

1 Like

paul rudd rush GIF

When Marnie Was There Bastille GIF

2 Likes

That’s quite a varied program.

1 Like

Oh, in the right hands, it’s more than OK.

2 Likes
  1. What a weird time for me.

Was it A Great Album (Tape)? Maybe not. I love it anyway, to this day… :crown:

“There are those who can tell you what your fantasies mean
But I don’t feel the need to understand everything…”

1 Like

All right, yeah. Never heard a straight version with words, but that tune has got a peppy little jaunt to it! I’d say it swings.

1 Like

Somebody on a keyboard forum just posted a link to this breakdown of Chuck Leavell’s stuff on “Jessica.” This is not new to me, but I’m watching it again, just for the sake of hearing Happy Traum’s excellent acoustic piano being worked by a real heavyweight.

I really doubt the youtube people cleared copyright with Chuck or the band, or, even more important, Happy Traum of Woodstock, NY and his excellent studio responsible for so many extraordinary breakdowns by classic artists on cassette tapes and videos.

But, to help explain why that riff from the … conquistador with no body and head in a hatbox and beatnik dude and water witch riff is amusing (at least the first time), here is the reason that “Jessica” is an amusing riff.

Oh, here’s an isolated track (somewhat) of the solo piano part from the original tune. I think it might be from two tracks from the board, with some bleed through from other microphones, or just some nerd applying EQ to the track, but it sounds pretty faithful to the original to me, from what I can recall. I’d have to imagine the band were playing to a console with at least a few dozen channels at that time, but I have no idea.

1 Like

I see these two gifs together and just think that you are a couple months early. Bastille Day isn’t until July 14.

1 Like

Apparently my thing this week is melancholy old White dudes singing poetic soft rock odes to born losers. I’m just going with it.

2 Likes
1 Like

The Goon Show. Still hilarious nearly 70 years later.

5 Likes
2 Likes

It’s a myth that everyone is Steve. At one time, everyone WAS Susan, however:

2 Likes

1 Like

I was Susan, but only for a Dey.

:disguised_face:

Now listening to:

3 Likes

Sundays can make you reflective, y’know?

Last-ever recording of Johnny Hodges’ incredible alto. :crying_cat_face:

“Never the world’s most highly animated showman or greatest stage personality, but a tone so beautiful it sometimes brought tears to the eyes—this was Johnny Hodges. This is Johnny Hodges.” - Ellington

(…and Turney’s flute. Wow. :broken_heart: )

2 Likes
1 Like

Sirius XM 80s on 8 Big 40 Countdown (week in 1985)

1 Like

The live DVD which this song comes from.

1 Like
2 Likes