What are you listening to right now?

Thanks to YouTube’s recommendations, I’m listening (a few times in a row) to a record I used to have, used to love, but haven’t heard in decades! I forgot all about this. It’s a phenomenal track, but not for the disco averse.

I believe in the boogie, but the boogie don’t believe in me . . . story of my life.

1 Like

Third Eye Blind

Rachel Mcadams Dancing GIF by Game Night Movie

1 Like

Today’s albums:

2 Likes

Listening to this on the SiriusXM channel “40s Junction”.
I go back and forth between music services. I don’t care for things like Spotify because I like the radio-style model where I have no idea what’s coming, and the most versatile options for that are SiriusXM and Pandora, now owned by the same company.
Pandora is the best for being able to fine-tune a particular musical style (or one station with multiple styles), but there’s something about the curated aspect of SiriusXM that I also like.
I went back to SiriusXM when I found out that if I signed up through the Apple app, I’ll be able to eventually also cancel through the app instead of having to do a phone call or chat.
Not being able to cancel easily was the biggest thing keeping me from going back to SiriusXM more often.

1 Like

Sirius 90s Flashback countdown for 1992. Don’t judge me for my nostalgia! :laughing:

1 Like
1 Like

I was looking at Oingo Boingo’s hits, and they really didn’t have many in the US. Weird Science got to #45, Just Another Day peaked at #85 and that was it. I was surprised Stay didn’t do anything, because that played a lot on MTV, and I loved it.

So, I’m revisiting it, and the album, such a good one too.

3 Likes

“Nothing Bad Ever Happens” was my introduction to them… the video got a lot of airplay. “Dead Man’s Party” was pretty familiar too.

3 Likes

The first time I saw them, was a live show, where they covered California Girls, but with Martian Girls, Neptune Girls, etc.

Edit and this was probably the show, in 1979

I thought they were pretty wild, and the next time I saw them was in, what '81, on MTV with Little Girls.

1 Like

They could have been on the modern rock charts had it existed. It’s first chart was in fall 1988. Wouldn’t surprise me if When the Lights Go Out charted in 1990.

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

I was planning to post this in the One Hit Wonders thread, but then YouTube reminded me that this group had a couple other, lesser hits. But this song is a timeless soul pop classic – and it reached #1 on the Billboard charts 52 years ago this very week!

1 Like

Ah, Perrey & Kingsley. Although some of you may also recognize this as the theme music for The Joker’s Wild.

2 Likes

1 Like

Yes, whole album. Not firing up the turntable, just the digitized version. My copy on vinyl is pretty beat up.

Yo, stfu and listen to “After Hours” by the man.

That’s the kind of dirt I’m getting on my organ these days, thanks to the Lester-K, and when that bastard sends my pedals, I can get back to stepping on it.

For my money, nobody was better than standing on the left foot than Jimmy McGriff…of course he did the traditional JOS style, but he had a heavier left foot than about anyone. And he chuffed on the lower manual with RH for chords like nobody’s business. The title track is probably the best example of comping in RH, switching between manuals. So, it’s not for no reason that one one wants that distance tight.

It’s also good practice for just sitting at my desk and trying to comp on guitar, just archtop unplugged.

1 Like
1 Like

That reminds me, the concert in the park was an organ trio +1. Hammond B3, Guitar, Drums, and Tenor Sax.

They played a few Jimmy McGriff songs (and at least one Jimmy Smith) among other things. I was thinking you’d have enjoyed it.

1 Like

1 Like
1 Like